Sign in to follow this  
Gar

Modular Ford V8

Dom, since you've just worked on the Mustang, et al,

On a suggestion, I've begun looking at the new, Modular named Ford V8s, specifically the 4 OH cam 302ci. It reads pretty impressive, perhaps except the powdered rods.... oil squirters, 6 bolt, aluminum, high redline, etc. Don't know how available they are yet in the junkyard, but I'm curious about bell housing mate and the allowable clearance on the back transverse side for an MTX75. Any personal experience with this engine and any shortcommings has value to me. Buiding a one-off adapter doesn't trouble because of my own shop and buddy machinists. I'd be building a car around the power train. I lean towards the Passat FWD longitudinal mount tranny (Passat for cheaper, Porsche Boxer relationship for toughness), or the MTX75 in a transverse mount. Supercharging the Passat V6 is a competing engine choice for the longitudinal layout. The Volvo V8 and Yamaha (Lexus) V8 are also in the candidate zone.

Gar

Not to side track, but have you looked into the new Ford 3.7L V6 also? Good power density and there is sure to be a considerable aftermarket for them.

Confound you RAC, for making the choice more difficult!

When are we ever going to get together?

Pick a date in January so I can come over and see your stuff. You're welome over here to see mine any time you give me a couple day's notice. I spend a lot of weekend at Hottie's place, but would enjoy car talk as a change. Maybe a day at a junkyard over your way. Let me know.

As for engine choices, I think I'd use the Passat that already fits the tranny over another V6. I also have the SVT engine in the shed, but I'm after 300s HP range. My old Buick V8 is another lesser pick. The application is the second hillclimber after the Sube mid-engine build that I'd like to knock out next summer... just to get my feet wet in the sport and learn the ropes, although it could also serve as a streetable project if another interesting body comes along. If I do a Karmann Ghia, it will be a middy Sube.

Gar

A gentleman down in Florida has already dynoed a new Taurus SHO to the tune of 435HP with just an intake,exhaust and a tune.....I recently saw on a national parts exchange a 2010 SHO engine for $3200 complete...the Mustang cammer 5.0 crate engine is I believe around $10K.....as mentioned before the 3.7L with the Mustang named attached to it should bring a large assortment of aftermarket parts in the near future.......

That tells me it's too soon to be making a commitment then, just such a wide variety of potentials. Both you two could bend my ear on your faves on the visits I'd like to have with you Westminsters. The usual fence side I'll fall on will be the most rational on the expence side. The aftermarket value has to develope over time, so I'll stay busy with the other projects I've set for myself till an easier pick shakes out. Thanks for help.

Gar

Is the second hill climber to be a Subaru platform? Need more details on the chassis, configuration, etc...

Pick a date in January so I can come over and see your stuff.

School kills my schedule. I've a visit to make to see a sibling in January so I'll advise once that is sorted.

No, the first will a Sube mid-engine, built as light and low as I can make it using either a take-out normal asperated 1.8 or 2.2L using the FWD 5 speed that came with them before 1995. None, or simple torpedo body open wheel. The rear suspension may end up like a VW's, trailing swing arm, since the arc formed by the travel can be used around the diff center to minimize the plunge that will result from making the ride height angle of the halfshafts so steep to lower the car. I want to be only a couple inchs off the pavement. The frame will be triangulated tiny DOM. I have a very modified VW front beam that I abandoned on the current fiberglas project that may be my simplist option to slap on. This first climber is to get involved cheap easy and fast, and be noticed. They make up classes for weird stuff to build membership letting everyone participate. I want to be faster than street cars the first showing.... skills just have to catch up :) I raced the buggies fearlessly, so I would expect to have an edge on many racers where the car can't tip, and there's no emotional baggage over the sheet metal bending against guardrails.

I'm pretty sure I'll like the fun, so I expect that I'll want torque once I get involved.... like in a couple years so a V8 or supercharged V6 for a car that competes in a real class would be next, but it has to be a car capable of winning once I'm educated, drive-wise.

To me the thrill of racing in the mountains is the greatest... Western PA upbringing.

Gar

Gar,

My experience with the newer 5.0L engine has been very limited, and honestly with the amount of electronics involved to make it work right it may not be the best investment. Cost-wise, I'm sure the engine will be more reasonable once out for a year or more. The 3.7L is a very popular choice these days as they are available widely and it's not quite as difficult to wire/install.

Would be good one day to meet both you and Rac... Someday..lol.

-Dom

I plan to eventually put the 3.7L in the Focus but that is down the road a ways. The block architecture seems pretty solid in design aside from the open deck. The Ecoboost seems to run fine with it thus far though. I'd like to get ~450-500BHP when all is said and done but I have to build the car first. LOL I'm counting on the Mustang name for there to be substantial aftermarket.