FordContour.Org

scraping noise from trans

dub

just lately I have been hearing a noise, a very loud noise coming, from what I have deduced being transmitted by the transmission or diff. The noise is audible from the cabin of the vehice @ 10mph give or take, more so than standing next to it outside. It gets louder as I increase my speed, and @ around 40mph it seems to resonate through the steering wheel. The noise sounds like a dull drill bit trying to cut through some hard assed metal, you know the sound if you've done this. I've gone through the suspension, the steering, the half shafts, and narrowed it down the the trans. The car drives and handles well, except for this noise; some details abut the car: Quaife diff, BAT trans both new about 3 years ago, maybe 20k miles at best on them. Other stuff includes new sway bar links, new right side CV joints, BAT struts and springs (new 2 years ago). It's not a wheel bearing either, I've checked, but it almost seems like a bearing has gone out. I'm at a loss and could use some help.

yes it matches road speed, fluid looks normal, noises and vibration now are real bad. hard right turns it goes away, so now I must think that it is a bad wheel bearing. I'll look this weekend, thanks!

sorry,I may have paniced, the shiz's waist deep over hear and the waves are picking up in size, if you know what I mean.

Edited by dub

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.