FordContour.Org

Failed Emissions Test

seaprplcntr

Hi,

I went and got my emissions done last week and my poor contour failed! I got fault codes: P1380, P0442, and P0171.

Online I found that a probable cause for the P0442 fault code was a poorly fitting gas cap- I replaced my gas cap today

Another forum suggested that P0171 could be caused by the upstream oxygen sensor.

I'm a student and don't really have the money to take it to a mechanic, I will if I need to, but I'd rather not.

Oh, my engine is a 4 cylinder, if that helps.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

P0171 indicates a vacuum leak in the air intake. This is usually a very simple diagnosis and repair. Look along the intake tract for any loose fittings, broken hoses, and listen for hissing sounds. You can use carb cleaner spray to find the leak by spraying around fittings and mating surfaces (where the intake manifold bolts to the head). If the idle increases while you are spraying in a particular area, you've found your leak.

P1380 refers to a problem with variable cam timing solenoid. I'm unfamiliar with the 4cyls, so I can't help much there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I went and got my emissions done last week and my poor contour failed! I got fault codes: P1380, P0442, and P0171.

Online I found that a probable cause for the P0442 fault code was a poorly fitting gas cap- I replaced my gas cap today

Another forum suggested that P0171 could be caused by the upstream oxygen sensor.

I'm a student and don't really have the money to take it to a mechanic, I will if I need to, but I'd rather not.

Oh, my engine is a 4 cylinder, if that helps.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Spridget is dead on with his info. Unconnect the Battery wait 10 mins plug back in, if you have to do this in the parking lot of the Smog place do it. Then you will be cleared of your CEL and will pass. :) Worry about the rest after you are back on the road :)

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Be careful if you are trying to pass this in California. You need to complete 5 of the 7 systems for the driving cycles. If you remove the battery to erase CEL codes, this will also reset your driving cycles. At smog places they will check if your drive cycles are complete. I dont know what area you live in, but you might want to check the SMOG policies to make sure. Also, unplugging the battery will erase your CEL codes, but only until the drive cycles completes. if the CEL comes back on, then that really indicates that you have a problem.