FordContour.Org

Bob Blaylock

Shoulda posted that one on April 1st, lol

Gar

I started rebuilding a '96 V8 SHO last summer. The project has stalled. I've been mildly comtemplating stuffing the engine into the '98 SVTC. The MTX-75 and flywheel bolt up. I'd probably need to modify the passenger side inner fender and notch the frame. Not too sure about the wiring and stuff, PATS and whatnot... it would add a little more weight to the front wheels, but the sound a V8 screaming to 8000rpm from a small 4 door is enticing.

I thought the older trans for the V6 SHO used a different bolt pattern. Then the V8 was only an auto. Out of that I believed the pattern wouldn't work out, let alone the flywheel matching. I'd be interested in following a build of the V8 SHO (weld the cogs on the camshafts) mated to the MTX75. My cradle wouldn't give an inch for the longer V8, but I might build another some day.

Gar

Keeping the motor mount placement and driveline geometry the same was the same problem with the 3.5L as the V8 SHO engine. You would have to notch the frame approx. 1.5 - 2 inches for clearence (adding a trans adapter)......but mind you it will fit quite comfortably if you turn it 90 degrees...but then there would be other issues to address....

Edited by Speedmaster

Poking around I found a number of V8 SHO swaps/builds. I also happened to drop by my junkyard and he's got several wrecked with un-clobbered motors. I think I'll let my old aluminum Buick V8 rest, and see what I might want to make out of the aluminum Ford V8 instead. My Buick is the high compression (almost 200HP), but single cam, 16 valve.... I like the SHO intake's looks.

Junkyard also just got a Gazzelle kitcar with 2.8 Ford V6, MII front, 4 speed box, and 8" Ford rear (maybe a Mustang/Capri donor). The chrome is rough, but everything else looks pretty fair.

Gar

DSCF0010_caption.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

A couple pics.... This is a V8 SHO block with the 2.5L Duratec shim plate. You can see how close the pattern is. Second pic is the SVT Contour flywheel mounted to the V8 SHO block.

I met a fellow SHO owner a couple years ago that had converted his car to MTX with a SVTC MTX-75.