FordContour.Org

Recontenting the lighted headlight switch stem

Aussie Ford

Recontenting the lighted headlight switch stem: post 2 of 2

Ya know it's to bad we live so far apart,I luv your ambitious mods! Must be from the Brown-water Navy training or that yellow water in Nam!!!! Ah a thought-your body thrived Agent-orange:rolleyes:

• 4 years later...

Whenever I change the oil on my '96 Mystique and remove those bottom panels, I always notice the connectors for fog lamps just dangling there.  On a whim, I took an unlighted Contour headlight switch with fog lights (from the junkyard, when I put together a rig to test my HID headlight mod), and combined it with a $5 lighted Mystique switch I just pulled from the junkyard to produce a lighted fog light Mystique switch.  I have just mated the knob cap of the Contour switch to the barrel of the Mystique's knob, so I even have a lighted fog light logo.  I had pulled the two lamp pins out of the back of the original Mystique's socket and pressed them into the two empty holes in the back of the Contour's socket with a vice and a pair of needle-nose pliers to keep the two pins from bending.

You mentioned there connector melting issues, and I haven't had a chance to see if the '96s plug will fit.  The one from the Contour didn't even have any alignment pins, and was just a rectangular connector.  I can break it apart to get connectors to wire them up to the fog lights if only the engine bay has the proper wiring for fog lights and not the harness in the cabin under the dash.  Since my Mystique doesn't have the fog light housings themselves, I got a couple of spare, black bumper filler blanks to play with to make mounts for aftermarket HID fog lights.  All this depends on whether power goes to those dangling light sockets after I try to  swap the switch.  I've never even seen a first gen Mystique with fog lights, but if I'm successful, I think mine will be easily seen on a foggy night.

• 4 weeks later...

Please note the differences in the contour and mystique components as you can see the location of the mystique fog light indicator light in the 3rd pic of post #2 of 2. it is the extra hole in the white plastic part, and also has a green lens in the black bezel part, hold yours up to the light and see if you have that as only fog light equipped ones do but the hole is in all of the white parts.

AF

I modified my 2000 to have fogs that weren't factory. The switch, lamps, and the relay came out of a 98 sport. Connected everything up and it all worked great. The indicator lamp came on perfectly.

Please note the differences in the contour and mystique components as you can see the location of the mystique fog light indicator light in the 3rd pic of post #2 of 2. it is the extra hole in the white plastic part, and also has a green lens in the black bezel part, hold yours up to the light and see if you have that as only fog light equipped ones do but the hole is in all of the white parts.

AF

When I look at your next picture, 4th pic of post #2 of 2, I don't see where the foglight indicator is.  Mine has the hole in the back like the one pictured.  It looks like the whole front of the bezel is painted with the exception of the "dot" on top, parking indicator and low-beams.  I could probably engrave (if that's the right word) the paint to draw the standard fog light symbol like on my switch.  I still don't know what the lamp behind the fog light indicator looks like, or if there's another like it on any other Contours or Mystiques in my local junkyard.  I'm guessing your Mystique didn't have factory fog lights either.

You can see the fog light in the first pic in the second row the small light is the fog light indicator light. You can not easily see the indicator on the bezel as it is small and blends in with the black plastic. You have to look at it in the light to see it.

AF

You can see the fog light in the first pic in the second row the small light is the fog light indicator light. You can not easily see the indicator on the bezel as it is small and blends in with the black plastic. You have to look at it in the light to see it.

AF

It's that little light that's a little out of focus, right?  Does it use one of the tiny bulbs like the cigar lighter or interior door handle lamps?  I could probably salvage one from the junkyard today; I'll add it to my shopping list.  How does it fit in the hex-shaped hole in the white part holding the bezel?

• 6 months later...

I think all of the '95s had lighted headlight switches, but over time some may have burned out.  I have had several "courtesy lamps" burn out in the door latch pockets, as well as the cigar lighter, clock and behind the gauge cluster.  There is a small hole at the bottom of the knob into which you can insert a straightened paper clip.  Push up on the paper clip while gently pulling on the knob.  You should see the dome of an incandescent bulb down in there.

Since I've never done it before, I took the bulb out of one of my junkyard switches.  Apparently you push the bulb in and rotate it about eight degrees counterclockwise and pull it out.  I had to use one of those rubber jar openers and a pair of pliers to grip the bulb to both twist and pull it out.  This has the oddest shape bulb.  There are two lobes that align with grooves in the socket.  Put the lobes in the grooves and press the bulb in, but you have to rotate it eight degrees clockwise for the lobes to slip out of the grooves and under a pair of retaining notches beside the grooves.  That's the part that's not in the manuals.

Finally I can replace that bulb! It says 12828-PHILIPS 12V 1.2W. It is not a 194 or 168 that I read on a different forum. Maybe thats for the ring indicating off/parking/lowbeam which is a different bulb somewhere behind.

6VWE9pt.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Digging this TY for the write Up Aussie 

Finally got the bulb. The only place I could find it was on eBay direct from India in a 10 pack for 10 bucks shipped. It illuminates the white tip of the switch and the little fog light symbol.

Before

9SLCo1e.jpg

After

ysLLRFO.jpg

After (in the dark)

AnKCrbL.jpg