Sign in to follow this  
Gar

fuel line shrader install on MB

Dom, Terry, et al,

I believe Hottie's 380SL is staying enriched after warm-up. It uses a Bosch K-Jetronic set-up. I have a fuel pressure test gauge, so I think I'll install a shrader on the cap on the top of the fuel distributor unit in the control circuit, but I suspect the shraders meant for fuel are different from tire valves. Can you confirm? How about a recommendation for a donor? I'll drill and thread that control circuit cap and leave it in.

Gar

With most of the Jetronic units will require an adapter to check the fuel pressure, I don't believe it's safe to drill and add one yourself.

-Dom

I had a little time today to visit the junkyard to hunt for a hunk of hardline with a test port.... and lucky, I found just what I wanted. A piece of straight pipe with the valve, just the right diameter to telescope with the line I want to measure pressure on. I'll take a section out of the Mercedes pipe, and a couple inches of the junkyard pipe, and braze together. Then I'll troubleshot the prob I'm having. Just about everyone says... replace everything on a jetronic that sits for a year... I take that as a challenge. My guess is the warm-up regulator valving is mechanically dragging... and preventing the start-up enrichment to progess to normal driving. This should show up on the pressure gauge as the control line pressure remaining high after warm.

The donor for the pipe section I found was a Saturn ION,

post-6023-0-78029200-1313623579_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gar

I put my test port on the control circuit, but discovered that MB uses a flexie capped air tube inside the hard line as a damper. It tends to shift and nlock my test port most of the time, and block off pressure to the injection system some of the time. This week I'll remove the damper to troubleshoot the control circuit, and decide if I need to fab a damper, or whether the lack of one causes too great a drivabillity issue.

Gar

I think I'm lucky! After removing the inner damper bladder from the control hardline, the injection workd very well. I had the pressure gauge on it for the first start, and all the system characteristics did what they were supposed to. It pulls strong and idles nicely. I don't detect any pulsing from the injectors that the damper was installed to counter act. I can theorize that the age-hardened damper was restricing flow away from the fuel distributor, causing higher than normal back-control on the metering system that reduced fuel delivery and the intermittant hesitation. Now I need to use the car to loosen up the tranny plumbing. It slowly engages when moving the shifter from park to drive, and on hard cornering, it slips a little applying throttle. Worst case, a tranny overhaul/flush, but I'm impressed with the motor. The body needs a heap of patching. Hottie G/F may get her Dad's much newer car as he's going to be loosing his license due to eyesight.... the pressure on me to fix her up with the Mercedes may be off.

Gar