FordContour.Org

No start No crank

graylady

Trying to figure out why my 98 2.5L will not start. Automatic trans. No crank. Dash lights and check engine illuminate with key in on position. When I turn the key, the security light goes away. I hear a light click at the relay when the key is turned. This all started after I changed the harness to one in better condition because of the fraying issue. Before the harness swap, the starter turned over. All connectors except the 02 sensors have been made. I double and triple checked the 4 ground points. Battery is charged - terminals tight. I tried starting it in different gears. All fuses good. The 3 harness connectors near the pass side rear head are tight. Pretty much out of ideas and getting close to having it towed to a shop. Please help.

When you changed out the harness did you check it to know it was good? By that I mean, did you check for continunity in each wire in the harness?

Did the wire go to the same location as on the original harness?

SInce you have a 98 is it early or 98.5? then did you get the new harness from a matching vehicle?

You have an ATX if all of the above is correct then have you considered the Neutral / Start switch?

Have you gotten a Ford CD for your car? It is cheap and well worth it. It contains all the repair and maintenance info.

Do you hear the fuel system charge?

Have you checked for power to the starter?

Did you undo a connector to get to another connector and didn't reconnect it? This happens a lot when making changeouts.

There are a lot of questions and know that there are actully 4 wiring harnesses in the engine compartment. Since you mentioned the wiring issue which officially didn't apply to 98's, have you checked to TSB regarding it? It is very helpful in that it tells exact proceedures for replacement of the harnesses. I check it sometimes just due to that part of the information.

It is most important that your new harness was from a matching vehicle regarding enging, tranny, features (ABS, Traction Control, etc) early or late 98. While harnesses may look the same, have he same connectors, the pin out of the connectors may not go to the same place as the original.

AF

..check this first...1)Is the large block multi pin connector on the drivers side inner fender fully bolted home (10mm wrench bolt) 2)is the single wire from the sol on the starter plugged in to the connector near the battery?...If yes to both..

Be sure car is in neutral....unplug the single sol connector to the starter an hot wire/flash it ..this should either 'click' the sol or operate the starter..if just a click it could be a starter or main power feed to the starter issue..If it cranks then you may still have a wiring issue with the feed to the sol...

Which harness did you change specifically? The engine harness that connects to the PCM or just the injector harness with the crank/cam sensor connectors?

-Dom

I changed the pcm harness that has the injector harness and crank and cam sensor connections. I will add that the harness came from a 99 Mercury Cougar. Everything looks identical. I get the check engine light with key in the on position.

Everything looks identical.......I don't think so!!!. Unless the harnesses you have used are an exact match you are going to have problems..I'd advise the following 1)Get exact part numbers from a Ford dealer of your old harnesses and see if there is an exact number match to the Cougar parts 2)Get both wiring diags and check circuit by circuit for match and pin outs,cable color etc ...without these checks I'd say you are in 'guesswork' mode!...many pin allocations and wire colors change at every revision Ford have ad with these harnesses...along with that around 99 things such as fuel system(return to returnless) ,PATS module location and wiring ..along with a host of other changes...The set up you have now could take a long time to correct...

Thanks a ton for all of the input and ideas. I will get back on the car in the am and check many of the topics mentioned. I need to get this car rolling asap. I will check power to the starter first. I can hear the fuel pump prime. If the starter is getting power, I will remove it and have it tested.

I would be more concerned with the PATS aspect as the PCM is different from 98.5-on and if the car is a 98, the harness is from 99 - You will have a big problem.

-Dom

I have found another harness that is from a 98 contour V6 SE. Is this a plug and play if I swap out again. The starter was turning over with the old harness. I believe this is a PATs or harness pin out issue with the neutral safety switch.

You have not answered the question is your a 98 or 98.5? what is the manufactur date on your vehicle? What is the manufactur date on the vehicle that has the 98 harness? Contour and Mystique are the same.

AF

• 3 months later...

When you changed out the harness did you check it to know it was good? By that I mean, did you check for continunity in each wire in the harness?

Did the wire go to the same location as on the original harness?

SInce you have a 98 is it early or 98.5? then did you get the new harness from a matching vehicle?

You have an ATX if all of the above is correct then have you considered the Neutral / Start switch?

Have you gotten a Ford CD for your car? It is cheap and well worth it. It contains all the repair and maintenance info.

Do you hear the fuel system charge?

Have you checked for power to the starter?

Did you undo a connector to get to another connector and didn't reconnect it? This happens a lot when making changeouts.

There are a lot of questions and know that there are actully 4 wiring harnesses in the engine compartment. Since you mentioned the wiring issue which officially didn't apply to 98's, have you checked to TSB regarding it? It is very helpful in that it tells exact proceedures for replacement of the harnesses. I check it sometimes just due to that part of the information.

It is most important that your new harness was from a matching vehicle regarding enging, tranny, features (ABS, Traction Control, etc) early or late 98. While harnesses may look the same, have he same connectors, the pin out of the connectors may not go to the same place as the original.

AF

AF,

the Ford CD sounds great - how do I obtain one?

Thank you!

C-Bo

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem. Just did an engine swap (2.5 for a 2.5. No 3.0 here.) and I get in the drivers seat, pop in the key and I have all kinds of life in the dashboard however, when I turn the key forward, I get absolutely nothing. I do not hear the fuel primer. It does not crank at all. I read this post and ran outside to check the bolt at the wire junction on the driver's side and it's bolted in tight. I found two disconnected harness though. One is a two prong that looks like it belongs to the intake temp sensor in the rubber induction elbow. The other is a 6 prong, yellow inside connector with 4 wires running into it. Wire colors are green with a red stripe, black with a tan stripe, tan with a blue stripe and white with a blue stripe. I have looked down in the transmission area and I do not see any open connections. I have groped and traced wires, and all appear to be connected, (except I can not find the connector for the IAC motor. Gotta be in there somewhere) I simply cannot figure out where this female, 6 prong, 4 wire connector goes. I have a feeling this will solve my problem. if anyone knows or can find out, I would be grateful.