Sign in to follow this  
calcarguy

98 Contour SVT Shift Tower Bolt

I have a 98 Contour SVT, the bolt in the transmission tower has probably sheared off. I have not been able to locate a replacement bolt from any Ford dealership. They say that the part is discontinued with no replacement available from Ford.

Does anybody have any suggestions where I might be able to find a replacement bolt? Thanks!

I have a 98 Contour SVT, the bolt in the transmission tower has probably sheared off. I have not been able to locate a replacement bolt from any Ford dealership. They say that the part is discontinued with no replacement available from Ford.

Does anybody have any suggestions where I might be able to find a replacement bolt? Thanks!

Ping Mr. Haines in the Knowledgebase - Ask Terry forum:

http://www.fordcontour.org/topic/13675-dont-mess-with-the-tower/

If it has failed in gear then the chance of removing the tower are slim. The tower will only come out if it failed in the neutral position. You can drop me a PM if you wish or take a look at some of the posts in my forum. I cover the bolt issue quite a lot. The best fix is to have us carry out the keyed tower mod on your unit... Assuming you can lift it out. If not the transmission will have to be removed.