Sign in to follow this  
GhoSStRyda

anyone try these headers?

searched on the forum but couldn't find any info on this set of headers i found on ebay... i was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience on this set of headers? i can't remember where i read that our contours uses a 3 bolt y pipe and the one in the auctions is a 2 bolt...

2 or 3 bolt y-pipe doesn't matter as long as you also have a matching 2 or 3 bolt main cat.

from my observations all atx cars had 3-bolt y-pipes. All cars with a mtx, until late 99, have 2-bolt y-pipes. The late 99-00 mtx cars also use the 3-bolt y-pipe.

I believe a few people on CEG have used those headers. iirc, the cost is alittle less then MSDS. I don't believe anyone had any issues.

thanks Brapple~ i think imma pull da trigger on this one.... im pretty sure mines a 3 bolt, gonna look underneath tomorrow... regardless of the bolts, im ready to make it work, heck, its parta the fun! one last question, are those ebay guys the same guys offering them on CEG?

did a lil bit of diggin on da net and answered my own question~ hehe~ i dont think the two are the same... eh... duh?

this is from the guy that was offering them on CEG. http://racebits.org/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=213_2_90&products_id=547

the two look similar... any thoughts on the two?

i believe the price of both shipped to LA is a difference of +/-$20

If you have the option to go SS, do so. The coatings used by MSDS do not last in my experience. Also, the header flanges need to be cut and the bolt holes slotted like factory or you will likely have sealing issues...

thanks for the tips fellas!

does anyone know what the difference between the two are? i think people have tried the racebits headers. there's only one picture on racebits site on those headers and its not a very good shot of them... i really dont want to end up with the msds style headers where it looks like someone just took tubes and welded them together... and of course the finish is far less than desirable for me...

The pic on the Ebay site is a professional photo so I wouldn't go by that. Interior weld surfaces need to be seen as well to judge quality. The 'shorty' header, unequal length design is very similar to MSDS so I doubt there is much performance advantage aside from the SS construction.

Edited by rac74

so further researching the racebit and ebay headers helped me conclude that the two are the same! the difference would be that racebits can offer you both the 2 bolt and 3 bolt y pipe while the ebay vender only has the 2 bolt available. imo, the msds y pipe is a major disappointment. i would have gone with them first except for that ugly y pipe...