FordContour.Org

Alternator question

Charles Beers

I am replacing the alternator in my 2006 Grand Caravan. There are two options a 138amp and a 160amp. From the factory the Cargo Van style was the only one with the option for a 160amp. This came in a package with a 600amp battery. My current battery is 700amp and was going to get the 160amp alternator, but was unsure if there is any downside to doing so. Both alternators cost the same and mount the same. I don't know if I really need 160amp, but the voice in my head says bigger is better might as well. Any thoughts?

Normally the higher amp alternators are for heavy equipment vans. Those that are used for catering, construction and livery. I believe both may work, but this isn't a Chrysler site and I'm sure alot of people here don't own a minivan. Therefore I can't answer your question truthfully and probably no one else here can.

-Dom

I have no specific knowledge of Chrysler minivans but I will say - just from an engineering perspective - that having a battery with extra cranking amps does not require a bigger alternator, I see no real downside to sticking with the 138 amp, that's probably what I'd do unless my vehicle use had some extraordinarily high electrical power usage....