FordContour.Org

Vehicle speed sensor issues

svtrider98

Check the VSS wiring at the sensor (rear of transmission) for shorting and freying. If bad, replace.

-Dom

Hey gang,

Same issue here mostly. 2000 Contour SVT silver Louisville KY, 97500. Speedo fluctuated then stuck on zero. Check engine light came on. Odometer not spinning (sweet). The geniuses at Ford have narrowed it down to a bad speed sensor. They say they'll have to drop the transmission to replace it at the tune of 14 hrs of labor. I am not super mechanical nor do I have a proper shop or garage to work on it. I love my car but the $1300 dollar job quote may not be realistic. Help me save my little silver car. Thanks y'all

If you can reach the little pin that holds in the VSS and it is not stuck like chuck (which mine is, so parts are going to have to be dropped... not fun) you should be able to pull and swap the VSS

However, since we don't live in a perfect world, what the ford people told you is not far off the mark, however, you could probably find a technician that will do it for less since most independent shops charge less per hour than a dealership

alternatively... hook up your navigation... it tells you how fast you are going :unsure:

not my favorite option, but better than scrapping the car over one sensor if you can't afford the fix right now

most smart phones have navigation now too and it also gives you speed, get you one of those cell phone holders for the dash board and presto chango Droid Does speedometer :P

Check the VSS wiring at the sensor (rear of transmission) for shorting and freying. If bad, replace.

-Dom

can you order just the harness? or does it come with the sensor?

Well, thanks so much for the quick reply. I know that if the sensor isn't the only problem you can have some serious transmission problems. I'm gonna see if I can get to that sensor, and Ill let you know what comes of it. Thanks again.

Hey Dom, thanx for the reply. I guess my real issue though is finding the vss. I know that it should be on the transmission somewhere. Can you give me more specific directions on how to get to the vss. Removing and replac ing it will be the easy part. Thanks Dom. Thanks guys.

If you can reach the little pin that holds in the VSS and it is not stuck like chuck (which mine is, so parts are going to have to be dropped... not fun) you should be able to pull and swap the VSS

I thought that's how it was too, at first. The VSS is the plastic bit on top of the geared shaft that's held in place with a pin. You probably would have to pull the transmission to get it out, but the VSS is pretty easily removed. Remove the air cleaner and its fittings and reach down into the blackness. Feel for the three-wire connector of the VSS on the main wiring harness; its about the only branch on the main harness in the area. Dexterously unclip the VSS from the harness and firmly grab the flat sides of the plastic VSS. Grunt and turn it counterclockwise and it comes loose fairly easily, since it has plastic threads. Check to make sure the shaft came out, as the square shaft should extend a bit below the bottom of the VSS housing.

Read about all my adventures here;

http://www.fordcontour.org/topic/13807-vss-shaft-broken/page__fromsearch__1

BTW, the speedo still works, even through my 900 mile trip to Missouri...where my window regulator broke...I need to post that write up as well.

...some bad info being posted here!!

NEVER, EVER remove the 'PIN'..never to change a VSS. The pin holds the speedo pinion carrier..pull out the carrier with the VSS and the chances are the pinion will fall down inside the trans!!..to get it out you will have to remove and strip the trans..LEAVE THE PIN ALONE!..all you need is a 24 MM wrench to undo the base of the plastic VSS from the carrier..NEVER remove the carrier unless trans is out of car and stripped...Speedo pinions are now 'obsolete' from Ford...

• 2 weeks later...

...some bad info being posted here!!

NEVER, EVER remove the 'PIN'..never to change a VSS. The pin holds the speedo pinion carrier..pull out the carrier with the VSS and the chances are the pinion will fall down inside the trans!!..to get it out you will have to remove and strip the trans..LEAVE THE PIN ALONE!..all you need is a 24 MM wrench to undo the base of the plastic VSS from the carrier..NEVER remove the carrier unless trans is out of car and stripped...Speedo pinions are now 'obsolete' from Ford...

Wow... that is crazy... you would think a ford master tech would have a clue

now i am glad they told me it was stuck and they couldn't get to it that day

may have to tackle this from another angle

I normally get at them from underneath.. Pretty easily actually - I've replaced a bunch.

-Dom

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey All,

So we removed the bad VSS on my 98 SVT 5 Speed and the little pin from the bad VSS is broken off in the trans.  Could not get a magnet to pull it out.  Did not want to disassemble further because I'm afraid the pin will fall into the trans.  Does anyone have a method//solution to get that little broken off pin out??

thanks,

Roy