Sign in to follow this  
96contourREDrocket

Duplicate key for 96 contour seV6

1996 Contour se V6

I've been wanting to make a dupe of my wearing out original key, so I went to a local key shop and the guy that ran the shop said that there is a chip in the key. Is this right? I left the shop frustrated, so I went to another key place. They said they dont have the template for the year I was specifying, which is 1996. I was beginning to get P'd off, so I again tried another and last shop. They said the same thing the second shop said. Wassup with that. Dont they make keys for 96 year contours. WTF. Does these keys have a so called chip in them? I have a seperate chip that I need to activate in order for me to start the car, but its not in the key. Can experts on the matter chime in, so I can go back to the shops I went to prior and give them a piece of my mind, cause my keys are wearing down as I type. lol.

Edited by 96contourREDrocket

I know that starting from models 1996, the keys have a chip that is paired with the ECU, this is part of the PATS system.

If you want to duplicate a key, the new one must have a chip an it must be paired with the ECU in order to start the car.

Since I have a1995 and it doesn't have a chip (I had to dupilcate keys once) I can´t give you much information about the procedure to pair them.

Hope someone can give you more info about it.

1996 contour keys can be programed if you have only one key, You have to get the new key cut before starting. I am not sure of the exact procedures but you need to insert the original key into the ignition and turn it on for an unknown period of time, Then insert the new key and turn it on for a short period of time (again unknown) All of this needs to be done within a given time, ( lol sorry im not familiar with the specifics.)

To program New Key: Cut new key first

1.) Put old key in ignition, turn to run, wait for pats light to go out, remove key

2.) Put new key in ignition, turn to run, wait for pats light to go out.

3.) Key should be successfully reprogrammed!

This should work

7164417619_001f585d3e_m.jpg

The one I have circled is what I initiate (located near the lower part of the steering column) before I insert the key into the ignition. Would there be another chip in the key also when I beleive the one I have circled has the chip for the PATS thing. Im confused.

Edited by 96contourREDrocket

guys, only 98 and later V6 equipped Contours have the PATs system. anything earlier then that doesn't have it.

early 98s can be programmed if you only have one key. late 98 and newer require two keys to program another.

Edited by BrApple