FordContour.Org

98 contour, 4 cylinder, overheat, stall, crank but does not run

eliteman76

OK, so here is the basic premise:

1998 Contour 4 cylinder ATX

Last week, car has eaten 2 gallons of Antifreeze, but no evidence of leakage, bad hoses, bad radiator.

Engine rebuilt after head gasket 3 years ago, has been a reliable car.

GF of ours has been driving it, and temp gauge was running normal according to the girl that owns it.

Last week, the temps have been running a bit on the high side, so she has been adding antifreeze. I had to add another gallon today.

Last night she is interstate driving 60-70mph, car just stalls on her, and done.

Temp gauge was pegged.

No leaking coolant at all.

Cranks but does not fire.

Have had some large back fires through the air box, and did have a bit of smoke/fumes come off the air box.

Smelled like it was gas fouled, pulled the plugs.

I smelled a lot of gas, plugs are dry. I blew out the chambers with compressed air as dealt with 95-97's working at an auction where they would flood out and wet the plugs and not fire.

Plugs as far as I can tell, appear to have "normal" wear. I was assuming it lunched the head gasket again, but not the case. Oil is clean.

Engine turns over easy enough...actually sounds strong.

Running down the list...debating if maybe the coil pack could be the issue. I popped the plug wires off, not seeing any spark as far as I can tell, but going to try later tonight when dark out.

Just trying to save the girl from having to go out and spend money she can't afford on a new car. Any suggestions?

Failed catalytic converter? You smelled gas and had backfire thru the airbox. I think a blocked catalyst might cause this.

I had a catalytic element break up and clog a year or so ago. Mine suddenly stalled at a light and would not restart. I pushed it into a parking lot and tried to start it again, nothing. It sounded like the exhaust was coming out the intake. Fuel pressure good. Spark good. Lifted her up and upbolted the y-pipe-to-catalyst connection and there it was, a big chunk of brick sideways in the entry.. I had bottomed out on something at some point.

Not sure on the coolant thing.. maybe do a leakdown test when its cooler so the escaping fluid doesn't evaporate.

Edited by jeffmknight