Looking at Moving Up - 2007 Focus SE

Scorpion8

Yea, that 98 Contour is getting a little long in the tooth. It'd be nice to have a car that was younger than my kid! Anyway, available locally is a 2007 Focus SE that looks very clean. A little research shows the same 2.0 Zetec engine, so that's well within the knowledge base. It has 111,xxx miles which is high, but I don't think the 12,000 miles-per-year stat is much valid anymore since folks drive everywhere these days.

Of course the very first thing the car will need is a timing belt job unless it was recently done right?

Anything else to look for in these? Opinions?

I'm not much of a Ford fan...no secret. BUT, a Focus with a manual transmission will definitely last a long time. It would be a fine replacement if you can get over the way it looks!

I actually am a Ford fan, and kinda like the way the Focus'es look. At least that year-series. I'm just more concerned about (a) another Zetec engine, means another belt-drive and no real improvement in mpg in these $4+ gas prices up here, and (B) it's a little smaller inside than the Contour. I'd prefer to find a Fusion.

Go all out and get the new 250+ hp Focus ST, only starts at 25k for a turbo'd ford focus high performance setup.

Go all out and get the new 250+ hp Focus ST, ....

No Ford dealer in my town. No road access from the closest Ford dealer.

I am pretty certian the 05-07 came with the duratec and not the zetec. That would mean a power bump over the zetec IIRC it's 143hp at the flywheel. They are smoother engines and respond better to mods and return better mpg if my memory serves correct.

Edited by zxtuner

Current owner swears it's a "2cylinder or liter or something or other".... She also thought she was getting low 20's for mpg, which is no better than my current Contour, which is <knock on wood> running like a top. I think I'll keep driving the 'tour, and hold out for a Fusion.

I have two words for you: Mercedes Diesel

Two others: Volkswagen Diesel

For the VW I would stay 2003 or earlier. For the Mercedes, 1998 or earlier (older the better).

I recently had a 2012 Fusion SE with the 3.0 and sweet sounding dual exhaust (can you say SVT). I loved the power, handling and general driving manners. I HATED the inferior build quality (Mexico). Interior door panels warped (all 4 of them) along the horizontal glass wiper) and general fit & finish. MPG was teriffic - 33 in combined driving, lead footing her. I put over 3k miles in 4 weeks - 29k miles on her. I then was forced into a 2013 Camry with 3k miles. Can you say "swiss watch"? But, alas, no fun to drive factor; too sanitary for me. All fit & finish perfect. Driving position inferior for me (unlike the Fusion), no compare on power, as it was a 4 cyl, 36 mpg. Road manners were poor. So, I guess it boils down to fun or sane.....give me fun, as I haven't died yet. Hey, wasn't it like this with my first car? The AH Sprite that required me to work on her as much as I drover her? LOL, I digress.

Mondeoman

I HATED the inferior build quality (Mexico).

Interesting. I've driven many a Fusion rental car lately (Budget in Anchorage has LOTS!) and have never noticed any of those issues. In fact, given one, I'd happily drive it. Kinda what I'm looking for.

Maybe a build issue with the interior door panels on this particular SE model? I don't know - I just recall the build quality issues that plauged VW owners in 1993...no Jetta's in 1992 due to VW NA stopping produciton of same until they ironed out the build quality issues in the Pueblo, Mexico plant. Quality issues abound in the 1993 models - VW almost pulled out of the US market all togther.

I did enjoy the Fusion much more than the Camry. Same class vehicles, but IMHO the Camry is for passengers and the Fusion is for drivers.

I would like to own one myself, particulary when you consider the "bang for the buck" into the ownership equation.

Yea, concur. I have driven a LOT of Fusions as rental cars, mostly SE or SES (SEL?) models. All very peppy and great drivers cars. In fact, I almost always ask for a get a Ford from Budget in Anchorage.