Sign in to follow this  
k77asker

Replacing the starter

Please help!!! Im trying to replace the starter on my 00 SE, but it's hard as heck to get to. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly, GREATLY appreciated!!!

I haven't had to pleasure of replacing one yet, although I may need to soon. The starter solenoid in my '99 occasionally needs a couple taps to work.

I would remove the air intake box and tubing. Might remove the throttle body from the intake manifold, leaving the cables attached, and set it out of the way. Maybe the battery as well. Push the heater hoses out of the way. This should allow enough room to access the starter. Disconnect the power wires, then two bolts. It may take a couple taps to dislodge the starter from the locator pin on the trans.

This really isn't as bad as one might think. Just start with the idea that it will be a bit of a PIA and go from there. Actually since you have a 2k tour with a returnless fuel system that is a bit easier than a return style one.

First you have to make a hole to get to it. Start by removing the air cleaner box and air tube all the way to the throttle body. Next remove the battery and battery box. Remove the throttle cable, and cruise control cable and, the bracket from the throttle body and move them out of the way.Now you have a hole to work in and you can see the starter bolts if you look close. Remove the battery connection from the starter there are two nuts to remove and they are different sizes. However there are three nuts in that area if you remove all three it is no big deal but you only need to remove the two on the connector. The first time I pulled the starter while doing a clutch job I removed the three of them.... Next get a 13mm boxend wrench and from the front under the TB and hoses you can get on the bolt and remove it. Now usig a long extention you can come right down on the rear bolt and remove it. Lastly you have to work it out of the hole you made it will get by the fuel line without disconnecting it, but you can disconnect it if you want. I didn't do that.For some reason I can place the pics in the text but they are somewhat in order of the discussion.Please ask all the questions you need to.Regards,AF

engine begining.jpg

Makn a hole.jpg

makn a hole 2.jpg

Starter bolt 1.jpg

starter bolt 2.jpg

starter bolt 3.jpg

starter bolt 4.jpg

starter bolt 5.jpg

Starter conn.jpg

Starter out.jpg

This should be renamed , How To :)