Sign in to follow this  
shotwell

Brake frustration...

I've been having strange issues with my brakes as of late. It's been very frustrating.

When I picked this car up from Lance, the brakes were pretty much wasted. Rotors had some pretty serious hard spots, likely from sitting so long. Stopping was exciting...the whole car would shake!

Not long after I swapped in new rotors and pads all the way around. Lance swapped in E1 SVT brakes and SS lines from BAT, so I had to make sure I got the right parts. I opted for the cheapies at Cost Less Auto Parts. I'm pretty sure I spent less than $150 for all of it. I also flushed the brake fluid at this time...DOT 3/4 Valvoline Synthetic.

FF to last week. Had to drive Oakland, CA with my wife on Monday. The brakes were absolutely terrible! Crazy hard spots on the rotors...worse than before! My wife said they've been getting worse for some time, but didn't realize they were quite that bad. The mountain passes were quite scary, and the trip back was even worse!

This time around I ordered up new rotors and pads from Auto Zone...the Duralast models with a warranty. I did the rears earlier this week and noticed some improvement. Finished up the fronts last night, noting that the new rotors are heavier than the old "new" ones. The car is stopping like a dream again.

What happened? Cheapie pads and rotors don't last? E1 brakes suck because the swept area is at the edge of the rotor? Is something else amiss? I know my wife doesn't ride the brake pedal...she actually knows how to drive a standard! What do you think guys?

Cheap auto parts are usually Chinese knock offs of the OEM part, they deteriorate like nothing you have ever seen. I have seen Ebay rotors warp within 3 months of replacement.

I agree, you can not believe how bad some of these foreign parts are.

You know Mike I have an in for cheaper quality parts....

AF

I've used brake parts from Cost Less in the past. I either got lucky previously or really unlucky this time. I think I learned my lesson though.

I'm hoping that this set lasts longer. The rotors were definitely much heavier.

Next time I'll give you a call Aussie. Need to catch up with you anyway...it's been a while.

Aussie - I would like to hear about your "in for cheaper quality parts". Son worked partime at CarQuest (now automechanic) and he has stories that were unheard of many years ago - Timken, Stand Parts, and others have one or more lines of parts fabbed in China. Some are good, others poor. Consistency is missing in quality apparently. Nothing you haven't heard of, I am sure.

By cheap parts we seem to be talking along different lines. My in, is that the company I work for has an account at Fast Undercar a wholesale parts store that I can buy from, and while parts are cheaper they are good quality. Our friend Qwikndrty (previous owner of my SVT)used to get us parts through there, and now that he isn't around much I found out I can get them too.

That is not to say that these days with all the cheaply made parts that are flooding the market one should avoid cheaply priced goods. One just has to be aware of the quality of those parts, and be suspecious of even some name brand items as those names and logos have been bootleged by some Chinese rip-off companies.

AF

Sometimes I've wondered if Motorcraft parts from Rockauto can always be counted on to be authentic... not to imply that would be Rockauto's fault, but their parts seem to come from various places/warehouses.

Aussie - we are saying the SAME thing. As I STILL work in the automotive biz, I am accutely aware of the mark-up of OEM parts. What you and I are referring to is commonly referred to as "Value". Ferrett - Their are, as you know, FOMOCO parts and Motorcraft parts. I have seen Motorcraft parts sourced from every region of the world - India, Chek Republic, Japan, and in between. Timken is an example I like to refer to that shows outstanding quality regardless of country of origin. All about Mfg Process and QC when it comes to what we receive in the way of parts.