FordContour.Org

What is up with this

Contour Man

post-9810-0-62231600-1368464142_thumb.jpg

There a bolt thats rusted off.   And the plate is broken.    Was about to do complete suspension overhaul until i saw that.

Got the exact same thing. No idea what caused it, but it doesn't seem to be causing anything more, gearbox works well and takes abuse without complaint.

Would indeed be nice to know what might cause that, and also what the bolts hold. The plate doesn't seem to hold anything.

'That Plate'...just happens to be the end of the reverse idler shaft that carries the reverse idler inside the trans! I doubt it will fall out but it does not look good. Suggest you clean it off and fit the inner fender splash guard!!!

reverse shaft.JPG

Any idea what might have caused them to break? Here's a shot of mine:

th_2013-04-22135656.jpg

My coogah didn't come with a splash protection on either side...

Edited by rdvil

wow dude your's looks the same as mine.  the one bolt completely rusted through and the trans now has a ton of corrosion in that area.

Terry can this be replaced easily?

Edited by Contour Man

Nope...trans has to come out, cases opened, gears etc removed, case heated and old shaft pressed out...new shaft fitted etc...If you go that far it's worth a full inspection etc of trans wear parts and or/replace some of them...

damn,  have you seen this happen before terry?  It looks like a previous owner was in a hurry to go in reverse.

A member over at NECO had the same issue recently. Seems to me that it's related to rust and corrosion. Between the two units shown here and a third on NECO forums, they all appear to have the same exact failure.

I think I'll do what I've done and try not to worry.

The box works great, nothing's changed in the 10 months I've had the car, and transmission overhaul is way beyond my budget now.

Just can't think of anything that would exert any force on that plate like that.