Sign in to follow this  
allblacksvt

Stuck in gear... The dreaded bolt?!

So I was driving my csvt this morning when I shifted into secomd it felt like I''lost all tension'' in my shifter for lack of better way to explain. Im 90% sure I broke the tower bolt. When I move my shifter, it will move forward and backward with the flick of a finger. But when I try to move the shifter left or right it is much, much harder. I took a look at the shift tower (Im pretty sure?) and it seems to move easily with the cable on or off. Im just confirming that this sounds like the bolt issue as well as wondering if anybody had any photos of said bolt and the removal procedure to the shiz tower. I know people say its impossible to replace the bolt without removing the trans but I have no choice as I'm stuck in northern MN and nearly broke. :/ Any help is appreciated guys.

If you are really lucky (like I was) maybe your shift cable has simply popped off?  As you may know, there are two cables to two input levers, one "fore aft" and one "left right".  Mine did exactly like yours, fortunately it was the "fore aft" cable that had popped off the transmission input lever due to the rubber deteriorating.  Have a helper move the shift lever fore-aft and make sure that the transmission input (on the tower) moves too.  A temporary jury rig was pretty easy on mine.  Good luck!