Sign in to follow this  
Terry Haines

Cylinder Head Porting

...worth a read...

Huge flow numbers may be impressive, but optimizing airflow at mid-valve lift is key to power

……Wet Flow Testing
How the air flows through the ports can also affect fuel distribution and mixing. A traditional flow bench doesn’t really tell you anything about what’s happening to the air/fuel mixture as it passes through the ports and enters the combustion chamber. Manufacturers often design a certain amount of swirl into the intake ports to improve air/fuel mixing for emissions and fuel economy. Swirl can also make power but only if it swirls the incoming air/fuel mixture in a beneficial way.

Wet flow testing can reveal things about port flow that are totally invisible with ordinary flow testing. Mixing a fluid that contains UV dye with the air as it enters the port simulates what happens to the air/fuel mixture as it enters the combustion chamber. Viewing the chamber from underneath, you can often see the liquid puddling or streaking as a result of turbulence and misdirected swirl. Playing around with the port configuration can often reduce the puddling and separation that results in a loss of potential power.

...more here..

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/117360/cylinder_head__porting.aspx

I also read this and found it extremely interesting. And here I thought everything must run thru the CAD/CAM first ;-) I had a chance many. many years ago to visit the Wood Brothers shop (NASCAR fame) and when I found out how they measured head flow...wow - years and years ahead of most others. THANKS TERRY!!

Edited by mondeoman

... I have gone on about this for many years that velocity is 'the' key to more power.  Formula 1 engine developers/designers have also know this for years...in fact right back to the 'basics' that were written by Sir Harry Ricardo...a true 'master' of combustion engineering...Velocity is the 'sweet spot' that you feel when the engine is making max power but without the gas wide open...max velocity is the point where the peak HP & torque paths meet...

Back in my early days in Ford I was very luck to have worked with engineers in firms such as Ricardo in Sussex, UK and Cosworth...but most here are still 'hooked' on max CFM being the power maker...NOT so!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.