FordContour.Org

Moon/Sunroof Motor Source

svtnupe

If it is just the big white gear, check www.sunroofgears.com - rather amazingly it's a website devoted solely to this problem!

Good product and good people - I managed to damage the replacement gear and they insisted on replacing it for free!  Be careful not to break the black plastic cover when disassembling the gearbox, it supports the gear and if it is falling apart the new gear will strip too - ask me how I know!

The cover on mine was cracked, the replacement gear stripped, I bought a used gearbox/motor assy that also had a stripped gear, but the free replacement gear and new used gearbox assy did the trick.

Al Seim

2000 SVT

I had found that website by searching FCO and ordered a replacement a month or so ago. Received and installed it and it stripped out within 15 minutes of use. I emailed them about my dilemma and got zero response. If the gear wasn't $60 + shipping I might have just ordered another but at that price, I didn't want to risk another $60. I thought it would have been more durable and less prone to the same fate as the OEM. I had even greased the tracks to ensure a smooth operation. I guess I'm out of luck on my sunroof. It's truly disappointing. 

Try calling them.  But I'll agree that there must be something else wrong or new gear would not have stripped.  RockAuto lists a rebuilt motor/gearbox assy or did a month or two ago.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered one of their gears.  Lasted a few years.  Just stripped out at the end of the summer and I must have emailed them 20x about their 'lifetime' warranty with no response.  Ended up ordering a new one, showed up in like 3 or 4 days.

The 'key' to a good sunroof is dirt!..Yes dirt, it is dirt that gets into the slides etc and causes the window to stick...when this happens the gears cannot transmit the extra load needed to overcome that drag and friction. Clean out all the tracks,guides AND drain tubes ..then lube slides etc with a good quality Si grease...clean and check the slides etc every year and you gear will not strip out...

Totally concur with you Terry!!! I so recall explaining to a customer (when I was a Service Writer) that the reason for her perception that the Dealership didn't tune her car up correctly was due to her driving with the barking brake engaged; amazing what this does to ones' MPG!!! Reduce the drag on the sunroof's drive mecahism/motor and watch the reduction in worn/broken drive gears.

• 1 month later...

I'm on my third sunroof motor and it is broken! I've cleaned the tracks and the gear still wore out. I ordered a replacement gear from the place mentioned previously in this thread and it stripped the very first time I used it. My money was refunded with a sincere apology. The entire design just sux eggs. My gear did not strip due to dirty trax, it simply melted in the summer sun. I installed a sheet of eagle shield between the motor and the roof and it still melted. Webasto designed the motors to wear out so they can sell replacements! The main gear should have been made of metal!

• 5 years later...