Sign in to follow this  
mondeoman

AUTO DOOR RELEASE AND TRUNK OPENING - KEY FOB

All door and trunk failed to respond to either of my fobs that have replacement batteries in them. Trunk doesn't open either. I suspect I lost the programming in the SVT during the recent ice storm. I was unable to open doors until the thaw started. All doors/locks and trunk have power to their motors. Batteries in the key fobs are less than 3 months old.

Is it possible the car battery was weakened to the point of loosing the key fob programming? She sat for 3 weeks, until the thaw started. She started right up, no hesitation or slugglishness.

Lost my programming? I believe these fobs worked at least once since then, on a bright sunny day. Thoughts/comments?

Thanks - Bill

Hi Bill!  Did you figure this out yet?  My husband has some ideas for diagnosing, if not, though I haven't found time to get with him to write down suggestions.  (You may have already gotten help from the great NW'ers down there, though.)  He's programmed fobs for both my cars.  For the Mystique, one of the mechanic's I've used did a little test, then reported we'd need to go to the dealer to program a back-up fob.  This turned out not to be the case, as my husband ordered a couple fobs from Ebay and had them programmed in a jiffy.  I was quite thrilled as I love having a remote.  The Mystique has a Ford installed alarm system (from 1996, installed at the time of purchase by the first owner - I'm the second), and he programmed the fob to work with that, along with the doors and trunk.  (I'm not mechanically inclined so ti me this all seems magical.)  My first Contour didn't have a remote, and I didn't even know what one was when - about 12 years ago - I got my second Contour (the current one I have, Ferret II) and it came with a remote.  What a luxury!  Have had to replace the trunk release (the gizmo that is triggered by the remote) on the Ford, though - now there's a hard fo find part!

..the locks are operated via cables when you use the electrical lock/unlock...water can get into these cables and freeze when its very cold...That is quite common on all Contour locks...

Yes, Terry, you are correct. In my case the individual locks are all fucntional. The fobs worked intermittentanly for a few days and now nothing. I suspect the battery went almost to the point of deal, then I lost my fob functions. Could also be the dampness inside the car, from sitting for almost 3 weeks unstarted.

Ferret -  I am all ears, speak to me. btw - looks like she is sold to a fellow that use to own a '99 SVT before it was totaled.

Hi.  One thing, does your car have a built-in anti-theft system (a chip in the key)?  If so, this isn't something my husband has knowledge of.

Ferrett - wasn't the "PATS" system only used in the E0 SVT? Mine, well now Jerry's, SVT doesn't have the "chip" for the anti-theft system associated with the key, is my understanding. I have been conversing, as has Jerry, on this topic on the "Under the Hood" forum of our great FCO. Have your "hubby" divulge ALL knowledge of this wonderful (when functioning) keyless entry system with us!!! Thanks Ferett!! Mondeoman

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.