FordContour.Org

19mm rear stabilizer bar part #

Darcy Bloomer

I believe it is F5RZ5A772B (might be the 18mm bar). Regardless, these are all discontinued items. Any reason you are not looking at aftermarket rear bars? Addco, BAT, CTA Motorsports and others have them available, as well as the bushings and end links. Of course there is the used route as well. Also the condition of your rear stab bar mounting points on the cross member need to be verified for soundness.

Mondeoman

My current 17mm bar is worn down to 15mm on the right frame to bushing location. Mounting points are all ok, just loud knocking is driving me crazy. I drive 210Km daily for school right now and would like to improve handling as well. It's too bad they're discontinued. I've been to two local auto dismantlers and looked at 33 contours, mystiques and cougars combined and there weren't any bigger than 18mm. I emailed BAT, they don't have any 21mm bars right now and don't know when they'll have any, they told me to try back in three months. I only have found one local supplier of addco 7/8" bar(lordco). They have to order direct from addco and it will take 8-10 weeks and cost $300. I'll try cta motorsports.

Thanks.

I went to Chilliwack Ford with that number, they couldn't find the bar diameter, regardless it is discontinued. I went with a used 18mm bar from pick-a-part for $25. I used energy suspension graphite imbedded polyurethane bushings that I've had sitting on my spare parts shelf. I've driven over 600km since swapped and there is a definite noticeable handling improvement. I'm happy with this $35 upgrade(Bar & Bushings). With only a one millimeter increase in thickness, I wonder how much more a BAT or Addco bar could improve handling. Does anyone have experience with either? Also do either come painted and which colour?

Thanks, Darcy

I would stay with the bar and bushing you currently have (good choice btw). I say this because of 1) price point - you can hardly improve on $35 - bang for the buck thing and 2) going to a larger diameter rear will alter your driving experience, possibly for the worst - all about oversteer/understeer. See the end of this article, very nice flow-chart in the section titled "Advanced Oversteer Diagnoise and Modifications" - http://www.drivingfast.net/car-control/oversteer.htm

Bottom line is leave the setup you currently have "as is" - you have the best of both worlds. At this time, altering tires and tire pressure will buy you "new experiences".