FordContour.Org

1999 mercury mystique 2.5l v6 dash

jeffo39

My mercury mystique has an issue with the dash, it seems to be peeling up from where the dash meets the front windshield , anyone have any ideas on on how i can correct this problem, its my aunts car actually, who does alot for me and my disabled mother i do all the maintenence and repair on the vehicle for all she has done, i would really like to find a solution to this problem to make her a little happier, she has given up hope on it but i dont quit so i would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have. Thanks much, sincerely, Jeff O

Their is a repair kit that Ford offered a while back. Which they don't carry anymore. But some members on ceg have these kits kicking around. I've seen them in a few junkyards and you child salvage them.

• 4 weeks later...

Jeff, my '00 had the same issue. Looked like a ski slope on the dash. Couldn't see the vent or the wipers. I tried rolling it flat and putting some heavy angle iron sections on it when it was hot out, but it was so far gone that I simply bought a dash pad cover and did a little hack and slash to get rid of the offending curl. It's my daily driver and is eventually going to my kids next year. The cover looks nice in its place. My idea may not be the best solution for your aunt. Mine was so bad that even with the angle iron, I couldn't push it back far enough to open up the defroster vents again. I had no choice but to do surgery.

Greg

• 2 months later...

I do not know if this kit is even avaialble anymore, I suspect not. There are a number of "work arounds" that yield the same results. Check the archives both here and at CEG. I have seen these "work arounds" and they look nice, though alot of work, as I recall.

• 2 months later...

As I hope to keep my merc mystique till i die

went to crazy levels and removed the windshield and glued and screwed

down the dash. Was going to add a small piece of window tint along the bottom

of the windsield to hide these screws from outside view but they are hardly noticeable

and dash has stayed perfect for two yrs now

Doug/CanaDoug

ontario canada

Definately an unorthodox approach to this problem!!! How difficult was it to remove the windshield? I understand not unusual for them to break upon removal.

Any glass replacement place can remove and install the windshield without breaking them.  There is always a chance of breakage but a good ( read OLDER ) installer can do this with no problem.

Hear you loud and clear, and tend to agree. I have been told this (breakage) by many a Windshield Installer, both young and old. Recall that the windshield R&R biz is very strong in the PNW. We don't use salt on our roads in the winter....we use pea gravel and these play heck on windshields! Maybe these installers are just covering their "backside"?