Sign in to follow this  
Detroit3series

Cold Air Intake GMK or similar for SVT

Looking for a CAI that doesn't involve cutting out lower fender support and goes under power distribution. I guess just two 45 degree angles offset some. Before I try to figure out how to make my own just checking if any is out there.

...all stoc Contour air intakes draw air from under the fender...which is a cold area!!

So are you saying that there isn't any gain at all from having custom tubing that goes closer to the air dam and has a large conical filter?

...very little gain at all. Conical filters too close to the MAF disrupt sensing airflow, which is why the SVT set up has a mesh before the maf to prevent this....and the worst is open filters that just draw air from under the hood..hot air!!

Most owners fit CAI because of the roar and noise..!!  Yet to see a before and after set of dyno numbers that proves a CAI on a Contour works!!

...very little gain at all. Conical filters too close to the MAF disrupt sensing airflow, which is why the SVT set up has a mesh before the maf to prevent this....and the worst is open filters that just draw air from under the hood..hot air!!

Most owners fit CAI because of the roar and noise..!!  Yet to see a before and after set of dyno numbers that proves a CAI on a Contour works!!

I noticed you said conical filters CLOSE to the MAF, what I was looking for is a setup that extends downward towards the air dam away from the hot air with a conical filter. Again, I know there is probably no actual dyno testing results but in theory it should be some gain.

To support Terry's point - I've looked at the intake air temperature (measured by the stock sensor in the air inlet, read via OBD2) on my stock SVT and it's very very close (within a degree or two max) to ambient (ie outside air) temperature while driving.  Effectively this is as cold as you are ever going to get, maybe even cooler than if taken lower to the ground on a sunny day.  There's really nothing to be gained besides looks and induction roar.  The air inside the wheel well - where the stock intake gets it - is as cool as any air around while moving.  Cooler than engine compartment for sure.

The only way any gains would be made is if - which I doubt - the std intake has a significant pressure drop / flow restriction and could be replaced by something more open.  But since the SVT engineers replaced that part of the system already I doubt they left much on the table.  And adding a long tube is likely in increase restriction.

The SVT 2.5 had one of the highest outputs per liter of any non exotic car on the road for its day, so there's not much to be gained without increasing displacement or really going deep into the engine.  That's good or bad depending on how you look at it...

Edited by 2000SVTC

To support Terry's point - I've looked at the intake air temperature (measured by the stock sensor in the air inlet, read via OBD2) on my stock SVT and it's very very close (within a degree or two max) to ambient (ie outside air) temperature while driving.  Effectively this is as cold as you are ever going to get, maybe even cooler than if taken lower to the ground on a sunny day.  There's really nothing to be gained besides looks and induction roar.  The air inside the wheel well - where the stock intake gets it - is as cool as any air around while moving.  Cooler than engine compartment for sure.

The only way any gains would be made is if - which I doubt - the std intake has a significant pressure drop / flow restriction and could be replaced by something more open.  But since the SVT engineers replaced that part of the system already I doubt they left much on the table.  And adding a long tube is likely in increase restriction.

The SVT 2.5 had one of the highest outputs per liter of any non exotic car on the road for its day, so there's not much to be gained without increasing displacement or really going deep into the engine.  That's good or bad depending on how you look at it...

Thanx guys! That's enough evidence for me. I may still go with a K&N maybe to help flow since it's design is the same as stock.

Thanx guys! That's enough evidence for me. I may still go with a K&N maybe to help flow since it's design is the same as stock.

Yes indeed, flow improvement might be there. Don't forget the fact you can clean and redress the K&N over a very long period of time/ownership. Makes the ROI very nice indeed.