FordContour.Org

oil additives, manual tranny and motor oils

i have some very specific questions in two separate areas..

ive been reading a lot on motor oil additives and how zinc and molybdenum are anti wear items. so i read you shouldnt have more then 1800ppm of zddp or else it would start eating metals. nothing about moly though...

but how does does moly effect engine components? would it hurt to add more moly? most motor oil already has some moly in it but is more bad?

all that research got me to thinking about my transmission.. when i "rebuilt" mine, i took 2 trannys apart and used only the best parts from both to put 1 together, including syncros. but its still hard to shift fast. it would jam really quick until i clutch and shift again. the fluid i used was ford honey with snake oil additive.

this got me to thinking. does the snake oil change the coefficient of friction enough to play a role on the syncro performance? i cant seem to find enough on snake oils. 

if so.. what if i added lucas oil stabilizer to the transmission to make it thicker possibly make syncros work better? or used different tranny fluid?

basically i need to shift fast... lol. any info would be appreciated

Edited by aboythatskates

The MTX75 should not have ANY additives. The Ford honey is all that should be used.No snake oil as most all affect the syncro operation and life.The MTX75 does not lend itself to power shifts...The design is showing it's age Vs later designs.Thick oil does NOT make the syncros work better..they work slower.Syncros need to wipe the oil off the cone clutches to bite and 'syncro' the gears..Too thick takes longer to wipe and bite the syncros to speed up..

im not trying to power shift either. just be able to shift fast. it almost restricts me from going any faster then normal. any suggestions? maybe try different oils? or get that additive out of there?

Edited by aboythatskates

Friction mod additive was used in the early days of the MTX75 when the spec was ATF. Those days are gone and lube has moved forward since then.The MTX75 needs only a GL3/GL4 type lube and straight honey fits that bill. Many other car owners use it,Mazda Miata etc springs to mind. It's good lube all round.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.