Sign in to follow this  
christopherJ

SVT engine swap.

Hello

I apologize in advance if this is question is a duplicate of other threads but i looked and couldnt really find the answer im looking for. Ive removed a worn out engine and trans from a 2000 contour SVT with a returnless fuel system. I am planning on putting in a low mileage 2.5 and trans out of a wrecked 1998 contour SVT. unfortunatly i am not a contour guru and didnt realize the returnless/return difference till the motor was out. I am also putting the fuel tank/pump from the 98 into the 2000. so my question is if I put in the 98 engine, the 98 fuel tank/pump, the 98 engine harness and put in the 98 PCM (passenger side behind strut tower) and the ECU (im assuming thats what the silver box on top of the motor is) will it run correctly? or is there other wiring problems associated with the fuel system besides PCM and the ECU? and will replacing the PCM cause any trouble with PATS?

Thanks

Im thinking it might be a safer bet to just swap the fuel rails, injectors and LIM (not sure if LIM swap is necessary) on the 2000 engine to the 98 engine. in addition to swapping the wiring harness. then i could leave the PCM alone. Anybody got any insights for me on that? ... also found broken pins in the large square harness plug thats connected to the fuse box does anybody know if the plugs on the 2000 and the 98 are pinned the same? then i could just solder the 98 plug ends in although that is a scary job.

Let me just stop you right there. Will not work. You can't hook up a return setup into a returnless. The motor, swap injectors, fuel rail, harness and you'll be good. Transmission will not work. One is rod shift other is cable. No the ends on the pcm harness are pinned different. Are you missing pins or you can see where a pin was and the wire? Because all the pins aren't used.

I believe the fuel injector harness plugs are different. I've converted them in the past by snipping off the old plugs and soldering on the later plugs.

Otherwise, just swap fuel rails. Oil pressure sender and temp sender plugs may have changed. Early were one wire, later used two wires. Just swap the sensors.

Swapping PCM can cause trouble with PATS.

Thanks for all the replies. sorry for not responding sooner but i dont have internet so can only get on when around a computer somwheres. Squeeking: the tranny should work as they were both cable as Terry Haines said. The housing the cable mounts to has additional casting but the mounts themselves are the same. the pins are actually broke in the female end of the plug. around 5 are broke. I have a friend with a re-pin kit that may work, if not i think il run bypasses with weatherpack connectors and it should be fine. Spridget: i will check all the plugs and swap over any sensors/plugs to make it work. So the plan is to swap fuel rails, injectors, and engine harness in addition to any sensors/plugs. i thought i read somewhere that the LIM needs to be swapped but im sure that will be obvious when i take the intake off. It will probably be two weeks till i get around to finishing it but i will post results in case anybody is interested.

I am interested, I was thinking of doing a swap from my 2.0 to a 2.5 since I know how mean it can be in a stick. I had a Mazda 626 2.5 V6 with a 5 speed stick. Took off fast and did 150 top speed. I miss that car and want it again in my Contour.

swap from 2.0 to 2.5 wont be worth it. Better off getting a 2.5 L contour and putting a 3 L in it. the mounts are different, the trans, drivetrain..all diff from 2.0 to 2.5