Sign in to follow this  
Bob Kelley

Battery Cables

1998 - Mystique 2.5  LS   74,520 miles.......While I replaced the battery in the car the cables in this car are the craziest I have ever seen. Both the positive and negative have metal plates that sit on the top rear/side corners on the battery. To the positive are extra wires attached (two plus a small one with jack)   Can this be cleaned up?

They no longer fit in the new battery installed

Also under the battery is a wire harness going to the power distribution block which battery acid has corroded

is this easy to change?    Thanks Bob

The Contour battery,if you have the correct one, does not have '+' an '-' terminals in the same side as common batteries...so be sure you have the correct one then terminals ,wire etc will fit fine. To mod and clean up the feeds is easy with large block type connectors.A good used set of cables may be you best way to clean up the battery area.

Thank Terry.  I doubt the person I got the car from, or their mechanic, maintained the originality of the battery and probably installed whatever was on sale, which I then followed when I replaced it.  What about the harness that runs under the battery to the Power Distribution center

its this a part I will find? or do I have to take out a perform surgery on to fix the corroded wires?  Thanks for your help!! 

I doubt you will find any replacement OEM wiring. I had to rebuild the power distribution box wiring in my '97. If you have some experience with electrical wiring, it's not too hard to DIY.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.