Sign in to follow this  
Tom Peters

Removing dash

Tom - I think we need to wait on Aussie Ford to weigh in on this. I know of nobody who has more "dash experience" than AF!!. He will be checking in soon, this I am certain of.

The wiring harness goes with the dash. You disconnect it on both ends from the fuse box and the connections in the pass side kick panel. Don't forget grounds that are screwed in under the carpet on the pass side too. Then the radio antenna and various vacuum lines and connectors at and around the heater and air bags. Please be sure to disconnect your battery before doing any of this. I did a write up on dash removal a few years ago.

AF

There are only 8 bolts (IIRC) holding it in what's the problem...... :wallbash:

Did you review my write up on dash removal?

AF

Aussie - I see that you repaired the overall shrinkage of the outer covering by heating and clamping.  When you heated up the outer skin, was it relatively easy to stretch out the skin before clamping ?  Now that I have the dash out, I would like to fix the slight shrinkage.

thanks,

Mad Dog

Can someone please provide a link to Aussie Ford's write up of the dash removal if they have it?

I've tried the search function but I don't get any results.

Thanks,

Joe

I'm just about ready to take out my old dash if I can get the damn AT shifter off. Aussie Ford mentions that the wiring harness goes with the dash. What's to stop me from removing the original wiring harness from my car and reusing it with the new dash? Is it a lot more work? I was initially worried about the bi-fuel switch (which I will relocate with the new dash), but I've found that it has its own little circuit with a plug. Also, can I use a 00 glove box with a pre-98 dash? The hinges on mine seem different from the Haynes manual.

Edited by XtraGassy