Sign in to follow this  
cmk033

Cruise Control Problem

I have 95 Contour (2.0L) and cruise is not working. When on switch is depressed at 50 MPH speed, nothing. I would think some sort of light would come on indicating the cruise is on but none. Is it possible that a fuse may be out? I try reading through owner's manual on fuse section and there are no mention of specific fuse for the cruise control. Does anyone know of which fuse is the one? I would not want to pull every single one to see if any are blown. Thanks.

If you have an email address I can send you the 3 pages of the1995 Contour and Mystique EVTM (electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual) relating to "Speed Control" 

I am having hard time finding, answer to a rather simple problem. This should be spelled out somewhere but cannot find it. There are some leads to fuse #22(ABS Module), #23(Backup Light), #24(Brake Lights) or #19(Not Used) but none are really related cruse control. I did an extensive google search without a success in identifying the fuse/relay number.

My brake light and horn works just fine. There are on/off button on left of steering wheel and there are three normal buttons on the right. When the on button is depressed, nothing happens. No light appears on the instrument cluster. Of course I would be on above 55 MPH when on button is depressed. It almost seems like it is a fuse problem...

I sent a PM message to you Pieloux. Thanks.

When you depress the on button, no light appears on the instrument cluster. That is normal. The only thing that must be done once the on button is depressed is to depress the set button on right of steering wheel.

I am still trying to figure out where the fuse/relay is. Based on my search, there is a relay not on either engine compartment fuse box or passenger compartment but is described as follows:

Auxiliary Relays (Not in the fuse boxes)

R-19 Blue - in color, Circuits Protected - Speed-control cutoff, Location - Central fuse box bracket below instrument pannel

Where can I fond this? Is the the Cruse control cutout switch itself mounted behind the brake pedal?

Any information would be appreciated. I am going to try a fuse/relay first and if that doesn't work, I will replace the cutout switch....

your buttons or the Cruise control unit could be bad. I'd start there.

I guess you are saying the buttons may not be making contacts. Do I need to take the steering apart and try to clean the button contacts? Or do I need to replace all buttons. Does replacing buttons require taking the steering module/airbag apart?

Is Cruise control unit the one behind the brake master cylinder, under the hood?

Edited by mondeoman

air bag has to come off. Column stays on . I reccomnend replace but maybe cleaning or make sure they are touching. IMO they went bad

cruise control is right up next to the driver side strut mount.. follow he cruise control cable to where it goes.

-cmk033, there's not a discrete cruise cutoff. It's integrated in the brake switch. The typical setup is usually a three contact switch with one for the brake lights, one for cruise, and one for torque converter lockup for a vehicle with an automatic.

There usually is, however, a discrete switch for the clutch cruise disable.

Greg