Sign in to follow this  
96Contour66

Engine Wiring Harness

I bought a 96 Ford Contour from a used car dealer a month ago.  It has been in the shop every since for various issues.  The most current problem is that the engine wiring harness is cracking and in a lot of spots there is bare wire.  I found the Ford Owner Notice regarding 95-97 Contour's and Mercury Mystique's insulation being faulty.  Of course, they no longer cover the repair or make the part.  My question is, does anyone happen to have or know where I can get a replacement harness? 

Well your choices are very limited with finding a replacement harness - Bone yard should yield one that has the "improved" wiring harness installed by Ford under the campaign. I believe you should investigate repairing your harness yourself. Many of the connectors are available from aftermarket sources. If you have or can aquire basic electronic wiring repair skills (solder, heat shrink, correct gauge wire, etc) this approach will yield you with excellent results when done correctly.

Since I did  repair  several harnesses myself on my 1995 Contour SE, I know for sure it's feasable. In addition to Mondeoman's advices, I would add that you must have the correct manual (1996 Ford Contour & Mercury Mystique Electrical and Vacuum troubleshooting manual). You can find it on ebay for $15-20.  

Thanks - we tried a Bone yard which resulted in a good 8 hours over two days pulling a wiring harness only to discover it was not quite the right one - but we had fun.  Not too thrilled at the prospect of doing the repair on the harness, but guess that's next.  Pieloux, does the manual tell me how much wiring we will actually need?  Or can give me some advice?

Unfortunately the manual does tell you how much wire you will need. That's no big deal, as it gives you a lot of other useful information that you will need to make the repair (such as  wiring schematics, wires color, location and description of electrical components -sensors, switches, connectors). Seriously, I would not recommend starting such a project without getting the EVTM manual first. It will also prevent you from doing any mistakes. 

If you have many bad wires on the "under the hood" harnesses, you should start tracking the wires from the PCM main connector. Believe me this manual is very useful.

If you need more info or advices, let me know.

Thank you Pieloux for the input/feedback. Keep this type of dialogue going - very helpful for ALL!!!

I need one for a 98' 2.0

I wonder if a focus 2.0 harness will work, even with some modification

Neither a Focus or a Cougar will have a harness that is identical to your '98 2.0 'Tour.

...'IF' you are lucky your old harness 'may' still have the white tag with the full part number on it..THIS is the 'must match' on a bone yard harness. Ford made circuit changes to about every model of Contour/Cougar etc...at times even between model types/years..many types and many part numbers...

I'm a few days away from getting the harnesses from a 2.5l Cougar and a 2.0l '99 (or '00) Contour to go into my '96 MTX and '95 ATX respectively.  I've already pulled very closely-matching harnesses from the 'yard to salvage (and order new) connectors.  I'm going to dissect them on a wiring board and rebuild those newer harnesses to match the connections, connectors and wire run lengths of the old harnesses.  Until I get there, I won't know how much wire I'll need, what gauge, or how many pins I need to get to wire them into those two big connectors on the computer and by the master cylinder.  Only then will I pull the harness out of my running cars, and use a multi-meter to see if every connection is the same.  I figure this way I'll only need a few different colors of wire as I hope most of the connections would stay the same, at least regarding the sensors which will use the most long pieces of wire.

My manual '96 is still running right now, so I was going to do it later.  If yours is a manual, no ABS and no traction control, I could try to build that one first and let you try it out.  The "donors" I have right now are a '96 automatic Mystique with roll-up windows, cable speedometer 2.6l motor without ABS or T/C.  I could "duplicate" it for you I suppose using one of the other late model Cougars or Contours at my wrecking yard as a starting point.  My '95 is an automatic, but the wiring changed too much to use as a basis for a '96.

PM me if you want to give it a try.  I know what you're going through, as I have yet another '95 Contour dead in my backyard that can't drive in rain because the previous owner did a motor transplant and bent all the brittle wires.  Still a decent donor for converting to electric if it weren't for the rust.