FordContour.Org

Cali SMOG versus 1998 CSVT E1 - Long

ValCor

I bought her brand spanking new!

I've suffered along with all the rest of us through all the common known issues. Sigh! But, I'm still loving her when I take the grandkids to skool each day. Vroom vroom! Except for skool zones, of course. Just bury me in this car, please!

Here are the facts:

1998 CSVT E1 (the best one?)

143K miles - Engine swap at 128K miles due to spun bearing! Waaaaaa!

New engine mileage:  5K when installed, 20K total to date

Main CAT clogged and caused an exhaust leak in March 2015 (Thanks for the help all!)

Gutted main CAT and replaced hose causing exhaust leak March 2015

Life is good once again! Vroom vroom!

On 8/17/2015 new main CAT installed to replace the gutted main CAT; OBDII reset.

Drove 84 miles to complete drive cycle (45 to 55 has worked in the past) 

@84 miles I go to a Cali STAR smog test station. (Has been enough in the past)

Time for smog, due 9/02/2015,

I pass all emissions testing, BUT.............OBDII failed due to insufficient data for the new CAT. D'oh! I know about drive-cycles! How can this be? This is new to me but the Technician explains it all after I told him about the new CAT install.  I need to drive more he told me and that my ODBII computer was working fine; it just needed more data.  

I drive more and sure enough the CEL comes on after two more tanks of fuel. Groan! I pulled the codes with my code scanner.

The dreaded P0420 and P0430 codes are mocking me once again. Good new is there are no other codes.  Gotta luv this car!

One theory is, the O2 sensors are shot because I ran six months with a gutted main CAT, and they are seven years old.

She runs like a spirited pony in traffic and my gas mileage is typical for my style of driving; about 18 to 20 with some freeway driving. Am I correct in assuming my pre-CATS, the expensive ones, are still viable because she passed emissions? Along with good gas mileage and performance?

Should I have the O2 sensors tested; or just replace them and see what gives since they're seven years old and maybe damaged from running with a gutted main CAT? I'm kind of thinking that is the way to go. I'm hoping the pre-CATS are still good! IF not, Oh well; I'll cross that bridge somehow. I did find some MIL adapters online, again, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. 

Any help will be very much appreciated![

Thanks all!

PS-  My mechanic is in a car club and they work on older classic cars and pre-1996 Hondas; no SMOG for them!

Installed new upstream and down stream O2 Sensors. When I took her out for a test drive I noticed a performance boost right away as I zoomed down the onramp to the freeway. Gonna install new plugs tomorrow (23K on current ones); then start my drive cycle. Upon inspection, the upstream O2 sensors were ill, the downstream ones, near death! Thanks Terry Haines for your suggestion to swap them! You rock! Now to complete the drive-cycle so I can pass SMOG! 

Edited by ValCor

Hope it goes well...Most owners do not know that the post cat 02 takes its 'reference' base reading from the pre cat 02....so if the pre cat 02 is slow it knocks out the calibration of the post cat one. That is the reason why ,if you only change one chances are the second is tired too....

If I wind up having to replace the pre-CATS, they will have new O2 sensors. :lock:  I started my new drive cycle this afternoon. 

Changes so far:

New main CAT (original pre-CATS)

Replace all 4 O2 sensors

Changed oil

Cleaned Throttle Body

Replaced top and bottom Radiator hoses (had a slow leak and it was time)

I do notice a difference when I hafta busta  move in traffic. 

The game plan is to complete the drive cycle ASAP so I can get the tags.

I love my car, I love my car, I love my car....,,, now what?  :wallbash:

Edited by ValCor

On my way to dropping the grandkids at school this morning, the CEL fired again. Arrrrgh! I pulled the code, P0420 only. Sigh! Other than replacing the CAT, I supposed the next step is to install a MIL? 

fwiw I've got a tired precat - and bought MILs from American Muscle for a 2000 V6 Mustang - quality looking product, installed in minutes and end of issue for about 12k mi now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finally completed the drive cycle and went to a different SMOG center this morning. The tech put my car on the rack and inspected it with a flashlight! He did the same thing in the engine compartment. I was sweating bullets! Would he find the MILs I had installed? He did a very thorough inspection!  After about 35 minutes of testing he informed me that I passed! Whew! AT LAST! My nightmare is over! 

Thanks again to all who chimed in with suggestions. I am so very grateful. Now I'm good for two more years! 

Oh, and the smog tech asked what am I doing driving a "race car" around town with two child safety seats in the back?  I'm a grand dad and I taxi my grand kids to school and back, thus the two child safety seats in the back. Grand dad goes zoom zoom! He said he had not seen a CSVT before. I chuckled and told him why I bought it and a bit about the CSVT history. He drives a late model Mustang convertible.

I talked with my mechanic this evening and he told me the tech was probably looking for after-market mods. He had tucked away the MIL eliminators out of sight making them really difficult to see. I'm sure glad he did. If the tech did see them, he was really cool about it.

The tech asked me what my mpg was and I told him around 18 to 20. I'm a spirited/sport driver in a maze of traffic. I really love having the power and the gear to be able to "bust a moose" instantly. I also do freeway driving which evens out my mpg. 

So, my 1998.5 CSVT is still rolling! And the beat goes on..........la dee da dee dee.......

I know, sorry. I'm just so happy to have passed smog w/o having to replace the main cats!  :D

PS: I went to a discount smog shop, cost me less than 40 bucks. Pretty good deal, right? After making three trips there in six weeks, I decided go to another test station at twice the price. I passed and the inspection was much more thorough.  You do get what you pay for sometimes. 

Edited by ValCor

And to add to the above, CARB (California Air Resources Board) is "HAPPY"!!!

Wow - very nice email ValCor - thank you!

Oh, and the smog tech asked what am I doing driving a "race car" around town with two child safety seats in the back?  I'm a grand dad and I taxi my grand kids to school and back, thus the two child safety seats in the back. Grand dad goes zoom zoom! He said he had not seen a CSVT before. I chuckled and told him why I bought it and a bit about the CSVT history. He drives a late model Mustang convertible.

I talked with my mechanic this evening and he told me the tech was probably looking for after-market mods. He had tucked away the MIL eliminators out of sight making them really difficult to see. I'm sure glad he did. If the tech did see them, he was really cool about it.

The tech asked me what my mpg was and I told him around 18 to 20. I'm a spirited/sport driver in a maze of traffic. I really love having the power and the gear to be able to "bust a moose" instantly. I also do freeway driving which evens out my mpg. 

So, my 1998.5 CSVT is still rolling! And the beat goes on..........la dee da dee dee.......

I know, sorry. I'm just so happy to have passed smog w/o having to replace the main cats!  :D

PS: I went to a discount smog shop, cost me less than 40 bucks. Pretty good deal, right? After making three trips there in six weeks, I decided go to another test station at twice the price. I passed and the inspection was much more thorough.  You do get what you pay for sometimes. 

Wow! Congrats. I took my cougar with the SVT top end on it and the tech refused to test the car.(Cali) That was my first time ever being confronted on it. Crossing fingers I can get my 3L through next :) 

I finally completed the drive cycle and went to a different SMOG center this morning. The tech put my car on the rack and inspected it with a flashlight! He did the same thing in the engine compartment. I was sweating bullets! Would he find the MILs I had installed? He did a very thorough inspection!  After about 35 minutes of testing he informed me that I passed! Whew! AT LAST! My nightmare is over! 

Thanks again to all who chimed in with suggestions. I am so very grateful. Now I'm good for two more years! 

Welcome to CA smog hell LOL Glad you are back out on the road.