Sign in to follow this  
SVT SB

Major shifting problems, Slave cylinder?

Major shifting problems, Slave cylinder?

Basically shifting into every gear is very rough and has the potential to grind quite easily or will not go into the gear at all. When in neutral and the car is running most times it will not go into any gear at all, turning the car off will allow me to go into gear (still not very nicely even with engine off). I can feel the clutch grab a little bit sometimes when started in gear and will creep at red lights sometimes. So far I have changed the trans fluid, fixed the classic broken/missing shift linkage bushing, and bled the clutch. Is there anything else I can do or check to help rule out a bad slave cylinder? I would just like to know for sure before I have to tear everything apart to get to the slave. 

Is it leaking any fluid from the bellhousing?  If not it's probably as likely to me clutch master.  Do multiple pumps help?  If you hold the pedal down does the clutch gradually re engage?  How does the pedal feel.  Has any clutch work been done lately or is everything old and worn?

As a side note that you probably already know, don't operate it like this for long, you'll tear up the gearbox.

There is no leaking, pumping it doesn't raelly help anymore, nothing gradually re engages - it either goes in or doesn't, and the pedal feels normal. No clutch work has been done and it has 99 miles on it.

Did you bleed the clutch on level ground? If the nose of the car is raised any, you'll get trapped air. Dealt with that headache before.

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on in while. Thank you for the quick responses though! The Contour has been parked and I have been focusing on my old T bird for the last while.

Anyways back to it, yes the car was level when I bled the clutch and I haven't seen any signs of leaks. The reservoir has been full the whole time this has been going on so I don't believe I am loosing any fluid.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.