FordContour.Org

"Door Ajar" light and dome light

XtraGassy

I noticed that my dome light only comes on when I open either or both of my rear doors. This also causes a pair of lights (one in each footwell) to light up. I'm not sure if these cars come equipped with "door ajar" lights in the gauge cluster, but if they do my bulb is out/missing or is otherwise nonfunctional. I have attached a picture of my cluster to show the lights that do light up when I turn the key.

So my questions are:

1) Does this car/cluster have a "door ajar" light? If so, where is it?

2) Does this car come with footwell lighting equipped as either standard or optional equipment? The passenger side is housed just under the glove box and the driver side is housed in the lower dash panel. Pictures attached (please note that the lower dash panel was removed prior to this picture. 

3) Is it normal to have the dome lights come on with just the rear doors opening and not the fronts? There doesn't appear to be any kind of aftermarket alarm or keyless entry system. There are holes all over the dash from its former life as an airport fleet vehicle and there is a fair amount of bi-fuel specific wiring, about which I am unable to find any reliable information.

4) Is it possible that I have 2 bad triggers in my front doors? I do know that this car has 2 separate door trigger circuits. Are they separated front/rear or left/right?

This is for a 2000 Contour SE Bi-fuel. Any help would be appreciated.

post-18874-0-71928200-1446262683_thumb.jpg

post-18874-0-63998900-1446262685_thumb.jpg

post-18874-0-40137000-1446262686_thumb.jpg

If my understanding of negative door triggers is correct, I should be able to test the trigger by jumping its terminals to complete the circuit. In theory, this should fool the car into thinking the door is open. Any thoughts?

SUCCESS!!!

I took the sensors off and sanded down all of the electrical connections with 100 grit. The sole mounting screw also serves to ground the circuit to the chassis. If you have the same problem, make sure to clean the screw and the interior of its associated hole in the chassis. In a case like mine, it was much quicker to just sand it all down to bare metal. Here are some pictures.

PS - The footwell lighting is factory equipment and there is no "door ajar" light on the instrument panel. And speaking of factory equipment, anyone know where I can get a reprint of the original Monroney sticker for my car? It might not even exist considering it began life as a government fleet car.

PPS - I'm thinking about starting a second life as a hand model.

post-18874-0-12118800-1446415180_thumb.jpg

post-18874-0-05339300-1446415181_thumb.jpg

Forgot to mention that the Contour does indeed have 2 separate circuits for the door triggers (important for the alarm install I will be starting in a short while): One for the front passenger (front right) door, and another for the other 3. Don't ask why. It's just the way it is.

Source: Haynes manual

Headlamp on warning and key in ignition warning only chimes when drivers door is open.

Also fords with fully optioned out keyless systems wont relock after drivers door closes like other 3 doors, so driver doesn't get locked out.

I will follow your tip on resurfacing door pin contact switch.

I've had to jump start my Contour couple weeks back because

headlamps on warning doesn't chime until drivers door is open.

Bad door pin = warning chime circut doesn't know door is open.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.