Sign in to follow this  
mbniner

Contour Radio/Audio Wire Color Code

I own a 1995 v6  SE and my audio cassette player finally died.  I bought a CD player to replace it but the wire color codes on the CD player do not match the Ford colors.  In addition, the CD player has 12 wires and the Contour has 16, 9 in a shielded harness and 7 to another harness, so two connectors.  I may have an amplifier ( I haven't checked) which may account for the extra wires.  Does anyone have any idea or a wiring diagram showing which wire goes where (i.e. xx color to right rear speaker)?  I couldn't get Ford to respond to my letter (yes, snail mail since their website didn't appear to have a place to address my inquiry). The 9 shielded wires are all 22 gauge ( brown, white/orange stripe, aqua blue/black stripe, aqua blue, yellow, light green, white/red stripe, purple/white stripe, and bare, obviously the ground). The 7 wire harness has 3 22 gauge (white/ green stripe, blue/purple stripe, and white) and 4 16 gauge (blue/black stripe, orange/black stripe, and (2) black/ green stripe). I really need help on this. Thanks.

Thank you for your reply. From the info you sent I was able to identify the power/ground wires also the 8 speaker wires. However, the color codes you sent on the speaker wires are different from the ones on my car.  I notice that you have a 2.0 four cylinder engine.  I have a 2.5 six cylinder.  It is possible that the wiring is different (although I can't imagine why).  Would you have access to a 2.5 wiring diagram?  The colors on the 2.0 are logical; all the positive wires have white as the main color and all the negatives have brown.  However, my 2.5 speaker color codes seem to be random ( brown, white/orange, white/red, yellow, aqua blue, aqua blue/black, light green, purple/white). 

As far as i knew, all (2.0 or 2.5) have the same wiring harness for the speakers - 8 wires total. The Premium Audio (seperate amp) models may have a different harness, hence different colors, but I would expect the speakers to all have the same colors:

1995 Ford Contour Stereo Wiring Information

Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange/Black
Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Blue/Black
Radio Ground Wire: Black/Green
Radio Illumination Wire: White/Green
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Black
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Yellow
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Red
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Yellow
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Purple
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/White
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): White