Contour SVT with bad diff, need help.

I have a 2000 Contour SVT with the MTX75 transmission, and as seems to be common, the differential has gone bad. My question is, can a differential from a newer MTX75 (say from a focus) be installed into this vehicle, or would a replacement have to come from another contour MTX75? I don't have the money for an after-market LSD, but i can get a stock differential for a focus direct from ford for less than $300. 

Is this a feasible replacement, or should I look elsewhere? My biggest concern right now is getting this car back on the road, and no I do not plan on attempting this repair myself, I'm handy, but no that handy.

Thank you in advance.

Just did some looking on fordparts.com, while they do not specifically carry the differential for the contour, they do still carry the differential for the new cougar, (which is the same platform as the Contour/Mystique if i'm not mistaken) and the part number is the same for both, so it looks like i can order the differential from an MTX-75 focus, or more likely a new cougar and have that installed. If anyone can think of a reason this is not workable, i would certainly appreciate the input so that I do not waste my money.

You need Terry - he will likely chime in but if not track him down by email or phone.  He knows all the ins and outs of the MTX-75.  Few others do IMO.  When my diff died I shipped the MTX-75 to him and he did a very cost effective and high quality repair.  At that time (~2 years ago) he had some good used pre powder metal diffs at a good price and used one in my trans.  I've put 15k mis on the repair and it shifts like new.

Al Seim

You need Terry - he will likely chime in but if not track him down by email or phone.  He knows all the ins and outs of the MTX-75.  Few others do IMO.  When my diff died I shipped the MTX-75 to him and he did a very cost effective and high quality repair.  At that time (~2 years ago) he had some good used pre powder metal diffs at a good price and used one in my trans.  I've put 15k mis on the repair and it shifts like new.

Al Seim

Ditto on the above response from Al Seim. If there is someone who knows more about ALL aspects of the MTX-75 out there, I have yet to hear or meet him/her. Terry is not only knowledgeable of the MTX-75, he is a no nonsense type of individual. yes, he will surface for air at the appropiate time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.