FordContour.Org

slow oil leak soaking alternator and cv axel

ArCrosl34

2000 mercury mystique has developed a oil that is so slow I can't find it ,after cleaning the motor up and watching it run I can't see oil coming from anywhere , cam seals and timiing belt are dry I just replaced the valve cover gasket and oil pressure switch 3 weeks ago , most of the oil seems to collect on the alternator and cv axle boot , I drove the car several days to work after I cleaned the engine up and suddenly after about 2 weeks the oil is back on the alternater , belt and lower frame and my gas mileage  has gotten bad also and it seems like its losing power , engine light is not on , motor seems to be running fine other than the power loss I mentioned, no surging or anything , the car has a 170k on it I changed the timing belt at 100k, it could be the crank seal , but I just have feeling thats not were the oil is coming from, I think its only leaking while being drove or under pressure , any suggestions ?   

The car could be starting to have "blow by".

This is when somecombustion pressure get past the rings.

So at idle you don't see anything.  it is at higher RPM

the oil pushes through gaskets and seals.....

I have some cars pushing 300k. Some with less

some are hanging in there... I have seen this occur

on any mileage.... even as low as 80k. Reasons, not to

get into here butttttttt...

Perhaps, you want to run a product in the oil like

LUCAS  "engine oil stabilizer".  and maybe go to

a thicker oil........

What   weight oil are you running in it now?

Another possible cause... though I am not sure with these

motors. Hopefully, someone will chime in and answer

this question:   Leaking head gasket? And are these

cars prone to leaking head gaskets?

Grannie

my motor is the 2.0 vct I have been running 10w-30 in it for the past 15 years , its been dogged on maybe 4 timesI  since it was new, after looking around the motor, I think I may have an issue with pcv system 

Change the pcv  Valves  . Mine was clogged at 56000 and Blew   the Valves  .  It was a $1000. fix for the valves. pcv is only $8.00. another thing at the time i had oil all in the spark plug hole. 

jefo did your car have those type of symptoms like mine has  before you found out , I know this is first time I have ever seen on a 4 cyl ,on 302's the motor starts filling real shaky and weak and pushes oil out on the bottom end , the hose under the intake fills real squishy and the elbow on the side behind the distributor is closing up when the motor is running I'm pretty sure this is my problem , thanks for the input !                                                                                                                                                                                Adam

.....along the front subframe just below the crank pulley runs the PAS cooing lines from the steering rack to oil cooler..they are prone to leak at the hoses and the metal lines can also rust...Check the PAS res for fluid ..a leak from thes hoses can get thrown up onto engine...

When the valves went it had no power could floor it and it would move but felt like i was towing a train behine it. then it died. went about 50 miles before it died. through all this i had no engine light.

Edited by jefo

well so far so good ,I replaced the pcv and cleaned out the metal line that attaches to it ,like always the hoses to the intake rotted of course and appeared to be sucking some air through the 3/8 hose that attaches to the metal line and the reducer elbow was almost closed up ,the car has got its power back but not sure whether the leak is fixed , I still have to clean the motor only time will tell , I did find a motor for $500 with 67k on it but the way my luck runs I would drop another motor in it and then the tranny will die , cant win for losing ! thanks to everyone for the help !

Adam