Sign in to follow this  
900Contour

trunk lid lift support, which one?

I need to replace the supports on my 99 Contour.

I'm finding contradicting part numbers on the internet.

Local parts store is double the $ of eBay.

But what the parts store says is the fully closed & fully extended measurements is contradicting the ones on eBay stores.

First off, are the ones for spoiler stronger to lift the additional weight?

And would there be an issue installing them on non spoiler lid?

I really like the trunk lid raising fully on its own once lifted and not needing helped all the way up.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Edited by 900Contour

I had to get both, since I had one trunk with and one without spoilers.  Check out my topic here.  One of the brackets the strut attaches to broke at the spot welds and had to be welded back on.  It's still holding over a year later.

I searched the forum and even just typed "trunk" into search and nothing came up.

I've already ordered the ones for spoiler. Hopefully there not to strong.

I couldn't wait any longer, the struts act like there holding and then wham on my head or back.

I had my back seat out last week to install a different 3rd brake light.

I should have waited until I had the struts.

Hi.  Years ago I replaced the trunk lifters on my '95 Contour SE, which has the small pre-'98 spoiler.  I got Monroe lifters from Rockauto, and found them too stiff.  They're finally loosening up a bit, but for a long time I had to have both hands free to close the trunk.  I also have to make sure to not let the trunk open on its own, because it bounces at the top and could damage the hinges. Maybe I got a particularly stiff pair of Monroe lifters.  In any case, they might be fine with a heavier spoiler.

Sorry not to post sooner.  I searched for an earlier thread I thought I'd posted on about this, but couldn't find it.  I guess either I'm not great at searching, or I had posted something on CEG.

How is this any easy install? Lol

I just changed mine. I used a shoe brake spring tool to get at the clip close to the back seat.

What a pain.

I bought these off eBay. $15 a pair. W.A.S. brand.

Raised the hood and of course I bought the ones that try to bend the hinge at the top.

Sadly, they don't even raise the lid on there own. I had to help it over half way up, then they push to hard at the top.

I paid $80 for new hatch struts on our Freestar. I looked today and there StrongArm and as mention on here, they slow down last inch or so of travel for a soft stop at full open.

Local auto part store, StrongArm lifts are $65 a pair for Contour.

Maybe by spring ill change them again. Another thought is to go junk yarding for pair of neoprene suspension bump stops and mount on the hinge arms, lol.

I may stop driving soon, so my car maybe for sale before next month. My muscle disease is getting worse and I'd have to ad hand controls. Even then my arms and hands are getting weak. The Freestar more practical if I need to transport a power chair. Insurance premium for another six months comes due in March.