FordContour.Org

Installing Zetec valve cover gasket

whimsey29

It's for a 1996 Contour. It's a Fel-Pro Perma-Dry replacement gasket with 10 grommets. I've l watched non Fel-Pro You Tubes, only ones  were for later model Zetec Focus'. For a 2001 Focus Pro-Fel said to install dry and use RTV on the recessed ends, this was not mentioned in the You Tube video. In fact they said to oil the gasket vs dry for Fel-Pro advise. I've seen nothing about the rubber grommets. I assume they go between the bolt and valve cover? As the my bolts don't have a pan head on them as do the later Focus bolts. Fel-Pro advises a final torque of 62in/lbs. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Whimsey29

If Fel Pro recommends, I would follow what they say. 

• 2 months later...

It's for a 1996 Contour. It's a Fel-Pro Perma-Dry replacement gasket with 10 grommets. I've l watched non Fel-Pro You Tubes, only ones  were for later model Zetec Focus'. For a 2001 Focus Pro-Fel said to install dry and use RTV on the recessed ends, this was not mentioned in the You Tube video. In fact they said to oil the gasket vs dry for Fel-Pro advise. I've seen nothing about the rubber grommets. I assume they go between the bolt and valve cover? As the my bolts don't have a pan head on them as do the later Focus bolts. Fel-Pro advises a final torque of 62in/lbs. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Whimsey29

Well I changed my valve cover gasket with the Fel-Pro gasket. It fit just like the factory gasket. I didn't use any RTV as my mine from the factory didn't use any. I think my Contour's cast aluminum valve cover is more stable than the later Focus Zetec stamped steel or composit valve covers where Fel-Pro recommends RTV on the v/c ends. So far so good, no leaks. In a Haynes manual I have they showed where the rubber grommets go. I torqued  the v/c bolts to 25 inch/pounds then to 62 inch pounds. At 107,000 miles the valve train looks brand new under the valve cover. I love this car, at 20+ years old, it drives great. My biggest worry is the wiring harness problems these cars have. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Whimsey29

Just recently installed this very gasket on my '95 Zetec. Did as you  did, followed instructions. 3k miles and no leaks, and I don't expect any; this is the second one installed in just over 179k miles.