Sign in to follow this  
svtlover

Lowered final drive

Kind of a sensitive topic for me as I had talked a couple of times with Terry Haines about sending him my HMS trans for conversion of the final drive....but now that he's gone.....

My trans was built by Terry (according to the seller Billy Henninger) but I haven't confirmed.  I know Terry always marked his transmissions but from the photos I've seen you have to pull the tranny to see it.  Anyway, I know this transmission shifts much smoother, with better gating, than my stock one in my old silfro so I don't have any reason to doubt Billy.

Regardless, I'm wondering if shotwell or mondeoman or aussieford or somebody here in the PNW does transmission work or knows of a shop that knows the MTX-75 really well?  And can help me out?

I don't plan on doing this right now, I'm just getting all my ducks in a row.  Slowly the whole Vortech build plan is coming together.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

I dont think that the final drive really changes anything significant. You might be better off just leaving it the way it is and focusing on the internals and such.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With significantly more power you're going to want that final drive swap...otherwise it's just a wheel hopping / spinning machine.

I was under the impression final drive only applied to 5th gear hence the "it doesnt matter that much" comment

I would like to lower (raise lol) all the gears, so not just 5th.  I think this means the output shaft as well.  Anyway -  so no one out here, no shop, knows how to do this?

I would like to lower (raise lol) all the gears, so not just 5th.  I think this means the output shaft as well.  Anyway -  so no one out here, no shop, knows how to do this?

Have you tried contacting Terry's Shop?  I know he had a few employees.