FordContour.Org

Parking brake adjustments and alternator replacement tips.

bigbadmommy1

I have a 1999 contour SVT. The parking brake does not engage at all. The lever comes all the way up the great ease. I'm looking for the simplest attempt first. As I don't really like taking things apart because I tend to break nails, although I do work on my own car. Anyways, I loosened the casing console and lifted it to get a better look. I'm just not sure wear the little adjuster would be. No laughing at me please. I'm learning.

During my exploration I could see the cable coming off of the lever going under the car. It is attached. When I put pressure on it I can hear it engaging the cables going to the back brakes. As I lift the lever I can see that it is not pulling on the cable until it gets almost all the way to the top and then just barely putting pressure. I want to try the easy way first before removing rear tires and all that nonsense.

Next the alternator. Ok I've replaced an alternator that was on the top of the motor and that was pretty easy. But this one. I'm kinda nervous. I've read all the steps. Watched videos. I'm as prepared as I can be I guess. Just hoping someone has some tips on making it as painless as possible.

Thank you in advance. From a very grateful determined woman.

parking brake cable is hard from what I have heard. have to take off the heat shields under the car I think.

Alternator isnt an easy one either but there are some detailed how to's out there and what tools to use. so it wont be as bad as not knowing at all waht your getting into.

what area are you in. there may be someone local who can help you.

• Like 1

I'm in Minot North Dakota. Thanks for the input.

Not sure why people don't start with the simplest possibilities first but thank goodness I did.

Update on the parking break. I just took out the console completely. Started poking around and found the cable attaching the the lever had popped out of its designated spot. Using a flat head screwdriver I maneuvered it back in. Then tested the parking brake. It worked. Nothing seems to hold it in the groove, it just kinda sits in there. Seems iffy to me. Definitely won't trust it too much but for now it's working.

Next step is the alternator. Once my parts get here. Waiting on a six spline lug key to remove the passenger tire. And waiting on my alternator to arrive. Hopefully by next week I'll have it all pulled apart and on its way to running again. Found some very detailed step by step directions, so not too worried. Mostly concerned about disconnecting the tie rod.

I will be doing my homework this weekend on tie rods. Lol.

Driving my svt across country in two weeks if everything goes as planned. Fingers crossed.

My guess would be that your parking brake cables are getting sticky - or maybe froze during the winter, mine did last winter - and didn't keep a "pull" on the handle attachment thus allowing the coupling to fall out of place.  Unless it is possible to lube them it will likely happen again needing replacement eventually.  Mine are happy now that it's warmer but I'll need to replace before winder.  I'm guessing on mine that the crumbled end seals are letting water in which then freezes.

Re alternator - I did mine a few years ago and it was not easy.  No one aspect terribly difficult or needing great skill, just very hard to reach and tedious.  I found it easiest to get to one of the bolts by going all the way across the car from the driver wheel well.  Having smaller hands and arms may be an advantage on this job, there were a few times I seemed barely unable to reach something..

Give yourself plenty of time for the alternator job, it isn't quick the first time.

You may already have done so but before pulling the alternator make sure the issue isn't a bad connection or a blown mega fuse.

The tie rod is easy if you have a tie rod puller, if you don't then I'd strongly advise buying/borrowing/renting one.

Good luck!