Sign in to follow this  
GRN99SVT

putting in a 95 diff in my 99 lots of questions

I'm pretty sure it's all interchangeable. Better to ask in the transmission sub-forum.

Awesome! There a pretty decent sized group of SVT contour enthusiasts in the PNW. 15+ in Oregon, 10+ in Washington (where I am) and then a few in Alaska, and Canada that come to our meets. Sorry you missed our last one in May. But welcome for sure. Many locals will be happy to help with suggestions, and parts and even working on the car itself. :)  Text me if you have any questions! Satya - 602-748-7921

post-18235-0-23947700-1468005166_thumb.jpg

Terry Haines put an old style diff in my MY2000 trans, I got the impression from him that it was a direct swap.  (Aside of course for getting the shimming / preload correct)

I think but am not sure that if you go through his transmission related posts in the "Ask Terry" section that it is addressed there.

Al Seim

Terry haines passed away a few months ago unfortunately.  but yes the diff is an easy swap. the 95-97 (and early 98s) had better diffs than the later years.

post-18235-0-54345000-1468268611_thumb.jpg

post-18235-0-73147000-1468268612_thumb.jpg

Thanks! Swapped it out yesterday. It looked like a bomb went off. I was missing 3 hole teeth. I should have it back together before the weekend :)

Wasn't there a meet you attended years ago at PIR drags? Hey, it's been a while!

GRN99SVT, don't forget to use the correct sealant when putting the trans back together. If you use the wrong stuff the fluid will eat through it and cause a leak.

I have one of those leaks...I try to warn as many people as possible!

GRN99SVT, I have not been to the Wilsonville version. 

But that reminds me... Has anyone here checked on a new attraction in Wilsonville, an auto museum: "World of Speed"

Can you snap some pics of your trans and blown diff? I've never seen one up close. also World of Speed looks kewwlll..

Pretty much just the sensor and the wiring to it. I don't think there's anything else unless you have a '95 Zetec built in Mexico.

It's been a long time since I've had that apart though...check the forums. There's got to be something on it.

Its not too hard to swap out once its all back together. its probably something we could fix at the bbq next month worst case.

When Terry put the old style diff in my 2000 SVT I'm fairly sure he told me that he reused the speedo drive gear.  I know that I used the correct external sensor for the MY2000 car.  I replaced it because the insulation on that one thing was totally shot and crumbling. 

GRN99SVT, I have not been to the Wilsonville version. 

But that reminds me... Has anyone here checked on a new attraction in Wilsonville, an auto museum: "World of Speed"

Most certainly have been; twice now. Really decent place. Great group of volunteers there.