FordContour.Org

98 Mystique V6, won't accelerate well, kicks back

3pete

Kicks back once the rpms get above 2400 ish.  I think i messed up  the linkage to actuate the  high rpm runners while I was changing the plugs and wires. I can see the link under the plenum is connected, but I don't know what else to check.  

Also after the install on the first road test at idle in gear it was acting as if the torque converter was releasing and then engaging.  I went back, rechecked my work and found a throttle return spring flopping around in the butterfly linkage, PLUS I had left the throttle cable end loose from the throttle body bracket.  Bush league, huh!  

I reinstalled the TB spring and throttle cable end, but it still kicks back,  and lacks acceleration.

I used NGK Iridium plugs at .053 gap and NGK wires.

This car has 80,000 miles on it and had a bit of a kickback in those ranges to start with. I had my daughter drive me in the car and thought I was getting a misfire.  Nope, I made it worse.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Nevermind, I'm going to change my screen name to Imahack.  I had left both of the clamps on the air box to throttle body boot loose.

It runs fine...so far.  I'll come back and confess if my problem reoccurs.

Edited by 3pete

OK, problem is still there.  It seems to come under larger throttle openings as if the secondary runners aren't opening.  I found I had changed the route on the cable from the actuator so I will put it as it was from OE. Will report back.

What would make this happen besides stuff I do.  I really wonder if there is a sensor or something involved.

By the way, no stored codes and it runs fine at less throttle.

Could it be the intake manifold runner control?  I had unbolted & reinstalled it when working on the engine.  It has a metallic rattle if I give it a shake.  Any sense opening it up?  

Edited by 3pete

I doubt that it's the IMRC.  My car is a 2000 SVT, so not identical, but similar.  I deliberately disconnected my IMRC once and the difference was not drastic - the engine was a somewhat flat above 4000 as opposed to the usual power surge, but it still ran reasonably well.  It's possible I suppose that the ECU "knew" that the IMRC wasn't opening and compensated but I doubt it.

Did you take the manifold off to change plugs?  If so maybe a cracked or disconnected hose or vacuum line?

I found on my car that I could - just barely - see the IMRC linkage move with the hood open and revving the engine by hand.

Do you have access to a higher end scanner?  Would be interesting to see what that shows.

Could be the new plugs.I have a Ford contour 4 cyl. and have found that anything but 

Motorcraft OEM Plugs my car would run bad  

THe ECU will only know that the IMRC isnt working and throw a code. It does not compensate for that if it is not working. You will stumble and lose high end power and not be able to accelerate as well.

you should be able to rev the engine by hand and watch the IMRC linkage kick. if its not kicking.theres half your problems