FordContour.Org

Cylinder 3 misfire after overheating

My 2000 ford contour v6 broke the water pump belt on the way home from work tonight. It was a few minutes until I got the car off the road the temp was pegged. I had a friend bring me a new belt and replaced in the parking lot. I was able to get the car home, but a few !miles feo! Ho!e in started to get a misfire. My code reader said it was a misfire on cylinder three and the car bucked the last few miles home. What are so!e causes of this issue (spark plug, coil pack, burnt valve, head gasket) and what are the best ways to check forthese errors? I wil! Check the plug first as they are cheap, but cylinder three is a pita to get to. Thanks for all of your help!

Plug not seated to spark plug correctly? 

There are alot of things it could be. 

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/3.0L-3.8L/how-to-test-the-coil-pack-1

This is a step by step how to on testing the coil pack to rule that out. 

You'll test and diagnose the Ford coil pack on the car or truck with some very basic tools. You'll need:

1. A test light.
  2. A multimeter.
    1. You can use a Digital Multimeter or an analog multimeter.
  3. An HEI spark tester.
    1. This inexpensive spark tester is a MUST have tool to be able to correctly diagnose the ignition coil pack on your Ford (or Mercury or Mazda) vehicle with the info/tests in this article 
  4. A tool that can pierce thru' the wires insulation. Such as a Wire-Piercing-Probe.
    1. This is one of the handiest tools ever invented. 
  5. You'll need a helper to help you crank the engine while you perform the tests.
  6. A car (or truck) Shop Manual (no, not the Owner's Manual) for the specific Ford or Mercury model that you're working on. This manual is not a must for these tests, but may come in handy if you need some specific info this article doesn't provide.

Previously covered here on FCO http://www.fordcontour.org/topic/13749-misfire-please-help/

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you!  I should already have most of these tools in my garage.  I assume the extreme heat from the car overheating could cause the coil pack to go bad and this is a common issue with an overheating engine?

Any kind of overheating can damage anything electrical. Test everything to be safe.