FordContour.Org

Bubbling noise from gas tank

Jillian

Hello,

I've been having issues with my fuel system. 

It started with the car intermittently sputtering acting like it wanted to die, but usually I could just give it gas and it would work itself out and go.

Then one day that didn't work and it died and would not restart.

It gave me code P1237 "if I'm not mistaken" .

It had something to do with the Fuel Pump Driver Module or bad fuel pump. 

So I changed the Fuel Pump Driver Module and it didn't fix it. So I took that back and got a new fuel pump and it runs.

But it is doing that stupid intermittent sputtering and it even died on me one day. After awhile of turning it off and on it straightened out and ran.

Something I've noticed when I turn off the car I can hear bubbles or gurgling in the fuel tank.

Is this a sign of an air leak in my lines?

Because that is what it reminds me of when it does it,Like when you get air in your brakes and you bleed them.

Or can this be normal?

I'm really at a loss, last time I took it in the mechanic said he cleaned something and that ought to have fixed it but it didn't.

And to be truthful I don't have the money to take it back so it's on me to figure something out.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jillian

Hard to diagnose from afar, but a few thoughts:

Bubbling noise from tank sounds odd but may not relate to this issue.

Also consider the possibility that you had two separate problems, one being the fuel pump and one something else, not yet fixed.

Is the check engine light on?  Either way, it may be useful to get the codes read.  Some auto parts stores will do it for free.  Be sure to write it down and report back.

As a total long shot - the ground for the fuel pump module is, strangely, located near the drivers left ankle, actually just behind the door pillar underneath the carpet.  You have to pull up the door jamb trim to get to it.  It's just a screw going into the body sheet metal with some wires attached.  My car had a door seal leak years ago and this area had gotten wet a few times.  I had been chasing an odd driveability problem for years and finally tracked down and cleaned up this ground point, which had some corrosion.  Not rusty just a tiny bit corroded.  It definitely runs better now!  If the ground got really bad it could definitely screw up the fuel system.

I actually have a reader It's just throwing P0420 and p0430.
But it has had that code for a long time.
I took it in to have the Oxygen sensor changed and they said they couldn't get to it or it wouldn't come out,Something like that.

I had wondered if maybe it could be a ground issue but wasn't for sure. It is very likely if it is near
the bottom of the car it is corroded.

My car is rusting really bad all along the bottom of the car.
So i need to check that out.
I'm adding a pic,is this where you're talking about the ground is at?

Sorry it took me so long to get back i never got email that someone had replied.

post-11572-0-09795600-1482920969_thumb.png

Edited by Jillian

Yes, in that area.  Loosen the door sill trim and pull the floor carpet away from the front of the sill, it's on the inside of the rocker panel/floor pan just below the door sill.

It's "G2" on this factory diagram, which is looking from the glove compartment area toward the driver doorsill.

post-6683-0-76543800-1483317508_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2000SVTC

• 2 weeks later...