FordContour.Org

Coil Spring on Driver Side

cmk033

Spring on the driver is is broken. I have examined the strut assembly and it does not seem too bad removing the assembly.

Has anyone did the strut replacement on this car? I have 95 GL with 2.0 liter engine with automatic trans. If I can get a used strut assembly, I guess I can just replace the driver side only. But buying a 20 years old used strut is questionable.

I would think the both side has to be replaced if I am getting a third party parts.

Any recommendation input would be appreciated.

I may still have my front springs from my '95 'Tour with the 2.0 ZETEC and 5spd. Same springs, I suspect. If I can locate them, you may have them for the price of shipping - both of them if you desire.

• Like 1

That would be great. It will require for you to remove the parts.... Would only want the driver side spring. If the strut assembly is in good shape, I would like to have the strut assembly. Let me know if you locate them. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay...holidays got in the way. Springs were removed from struts. Need to locate them yet.

Spring from 98 model would not fit 95~97. Plus the the spring is different depending on the engine size/weight too.

Edited by cmk033

Be aware they can be  NIGHTMARE to replace/remove the spring without a QUALITY spring compressor..

And if it's rusted you will have a VERY hard time getting the top nut off...

Be aware they can be  NIGHTMARE to replace/remove the spring without a QUALITY spring compressor..

And if it's rusted you will have a VERY hard time getting the top nut off...

Thanks for the heads up! I am aware of danger involved in compressing spring to remove from strut assembly. I am not about to go buy the tool but planning on renting it from Advance Auto. I would think that would do.

As to the top nut. Is this a problem for all old vehicles or specific to this model. I live in rust prone area and I am always in concern working on older cars because of that. The one I have is 1995 but with only 78K miles on it. The center bold is visible from top. May be I should break lose that bold before removing the strut assembly. What do you think?

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay...holidays got in the way. Springs were removed from struts. Need to locate them yet.

Mondeoman,

Thanks for the offer to send me the parts, but I think I am going to pass on the Coil Spring and Cooling Fan...

I went to a local junk yard as they just got 97 Contour. I check the passenger side and the one on there is broken at the upper area of coil spring. The driver side look OK so I started to remove the whole assembly.

As I was removing the Strut Assembly, I realize that the Stabilizer Bar would also had to be replaced as you cannot remove the bolt off of Strut Assembly. Also the nut on top of strut shaft cannot be removed unless you have a special tool to hold the center shaft of strut and socket wrench to remove the nut on that shaft. Lastly, the bottom portion of the strut that is in the steering knuckle is so hard to remove and it will be hard to put it back on.

Despite the difficulty, I was able to remove the assembly in two hours of time. But to find the coil spring to be in pretty sad shape. Rust on the top portion and bottom. It may last another few years or it may broke in few month. There is no way of knowing. So I made a decision to not buy that strut assembly removed. I have decided NOT to replace broken driver side spring. It is making some noise when turning steering wheel but I do not think it will hurt anything. I am going to have my son live with the broken spring for another year.