FordContour.Org

V6 stalling under load

Rona

Ford Contour 1999  2.5 L V6 (24 valve). 105,000 miles.  Auto Trans. 

August 8 engine runs very quiet.

On August 10 engine started stalling under load but kept on running.  Set off 1 check engine codes.  The OD Off light began blinking.  Exhaust pipe blew off and engine began running fine but loud.  Muffler shop repaired the exhaust leak.  Car ran quiet and did not stall.
The Codes were:  P0193

On August 13, 2018 while warming the car up in park the engine began speeding up and slowing down.  It sounded like the computer was recalculating the fuel/air mixture.  When the computer was done and we began driving it started stalling again.  The ‘check engine’ light came on again with 3 codes.  After the car completely warmed up it ran quiet and did not stall. 
The Codes were:      P0171
                P0193            P0174

Well, lets look at the codes.

P0193 is the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor stating high input. This normally occurs from a wiring short, or the sensor itself has failed.

P0171 & P0174 are system lean codes for both banks. If your FRP sensor is malfunctioning I would suggest repairing that first before getting into the lean codes as they can relate to eachother.  Without a proper scan tool, you won't be able to see what pressure the FRP sensor is telling the computer the fuel rail is at. The sensor is around $60 last time I checked, but I don't advocate throwing parts at it.

Do you have anyone with a professional scan tool that can look at the data from the sensor? I don't like spending other people's money 🧐

-Dom

Thank you.  I plan on putting the Contour in the shop next week where they have all the equipment to check fuel pressures.  Might it also be a defective fuel pump/filter?  The reason I ask is regarding the FRP code which is 'high input'.  Does 'high input' mean to much fuel pressure?

High input normally refers to electrical voltage received from the sensor to the PCM, not fuel pressure. Plus, if you had high fuel pressure you wouldn't have lean codes. Everything would be the exact opposite.

-Dom

• 2 weeks later...

August 25 replaced PCV hose that had a large crack and leaking vacuum.  The stalling stop.  Still getting a code P0193.  The car is running fine now.

That's good to hear. Sounds like you still need to have that FRP sensor looked at though.

-Dom

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Rona said:

Car is in the shop now.  No sensors were found to be bad.  Thoughts?? 

Is the CEL still on with the P0193 code? If so, they are overlooking something.

-Dom

Yes, the CEL comes back on after resetting the PCM.  It's still in the shop and the mechanic also said he wanted to drive the Contour for a few days.

Got it back from the shop today.  The mechanic said the FRP sensor works properly and the fuel pressure is correct.  The mechanic says P0193 is no longer coming on.  Code P1744 is now coming on.  All through all this the OD off light blinks after driving about 10 minutes.  The car is now in the transmission shop.  Any thoughts?

Well, P1744 is the torque converter lockup circuit. Could be wiring, could be a solenoid in the transmission. I'm sure the shop will test the circuit and see if it's properly working.

-Dominic

• 3 weeks later...

Got car back from transmission shop.  Replaced solenoid pack and torque converter.  No trans. OD/off blinking and no check engine light.  Car runs good.