pepsibottle1

Stalls at idle, throttle hang

Known issue with the vehicle I've been dealing with since I've owned it:

Most all of the time when coming to a stop, the idle will dip below 500 and come back up, or stall out. Happens most with vehicle is warmed up. Running the A/C always rectifies the issue. The vehicle starts when stalled every time. I suspect IAC but I am hesitant to throw parts at issues. There is no suspect vacuum leak as I've already sprayed around and found nothing.

Also, there is pretty nasty throttle hang when upshifting, as if the revs don't want to drop down.

How often do the IACs go bad on these things?

The IAC failure is relatively common into our cars, it usually gets dirty and cleaning it can solve the problem, if not, a replacement is required, anyway, it is not difficult to do it, In the 23 years of my car, I just had to change it once 11 years (2007) ago and the moosing problem was solved.

The throttle having is a different issue. That is resolved by inserting a 1/2" Cooper pipe cap that has a 5 /16" (please try several sizes of holes till you get the one that works best for your car)hole drilled in it into the vacuum line coming from the air tube to the IAC(?). Search the subject here as there are several write ups on it.

Regards,

AF

It's pretty tough to diagnose just the IAC because I see the CPU logic attempting to set the IAC, but either way I will replace it tommorrow with a Motorcraft unit, along with the PCV valve and MAF (cleaning MAF). Hopefully this will at least solve the stalling at idle

Happy to report that replacing the old IAC with the new IAC from Ford solved all issues including the throttle hang. Thanks for the help