Sign in to follow this  
tonyankyfan1

Engine distribution box removal??

Hi All-

I have a 98 MERC mystique w zetec and also have the dreaded battery harness issue via insulation flaking off... =(   It seems only the battery harness wires that go under the battery to box are bad and need to be changed or somehow insulated. How does one remove the dizzy box to remove these wires?  If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it in advance!!!

Thanks Anthony

The box is held down with one 8mm bolt at the back and it has 2 tabs that slide into slots in the battery bracket. The DB has a harness coming out of it that may need to be pulled out for access. Normally, you can service the box without removing it entirely along as the battery is removed giving you space to get it free.

-Dominic

Hi Guys-

I finally removed the battery positive side harness from battery to fuse dizzy box, and yes it was a PITA. But it is ouT! The insulation is completely 100% flaked off, such a shame.. When i started to take it apart it got worse, the wires are down to bare metal at this point. I was thinking about heat shrinking wrapping the original wires, then applying liquid electrical tape, then maybe taping it up and slapping on some new loom. But to do this, I need to cut off the original metal plate that holds the 4 wires in place and connects to positive battery terminal. Has anyone done this before? or just left the original set up in place, just retaped the wires to protect them and put them back..
My plan is to add some DEKA 5307 battery terminals with 5/16 stud terminal w wing nuts holding the original battery terminals with 4 gauge crimped on lugs in place of the old ford metal battery connectors. Totally eliminating the metal plates via positive and Ground wires... Is there enough length on both original terminal wires and little wires on both sides, both + & -??    Make any sense?

Thanks Anthony

Sounds about right. I would just make double sure that the positive cables are well insulated to prevent any shorts and possible fire.

-Dominic