Mordecai Ben Israel

Is the 2.5 svt worth rebuilding

Hello everyone, I bought my svt about a month ago, just too find out that my engine is locked up. So I was wondering is better to replace the 2.5, rebuild it or swap a 3.0l in it? I just want to know which is the best option?

Honestly that's up to you. Unfortunately most of the 3.0L's are high in mileage anymore so a used engine is probably out of the question when it comes to 3.0L's. Depending on your area, you may be able to find a lower mile SVT engine (I found a 63K used 2.5L SVT (VIN G) engine in MN for $850). So the choice is yours to make, you can also go re-manufactured - But beware the cost will be substantial for the engine but everything will be refreshed and have a warranty on it.

Yes I noticed that a lot of the 3.0l are high  mileage. But I was thinking of rebuilding the engine. If I rebuild the engine  what upgrades do you think I need to do?

Upgrades? Honestly aside from a metal impeller water pump - There aren't many worthwhile upgrades for these engines.

I have been doing a little shopping around and it looks like is going to be $4000-4500 to rebuild the motor. I haven’t priced getting my wiring  harness Refurbished.

Rebuilding normally does not cost that much, I've built forged engines for less than that.

Yea I’m shopping around to find something cheaper but it is not looking too good. But I did have a guy tell me he did not know if he could rebuild it because all he had was stock  internals from the  regular 2.5 durtex. Only thing with that one was I wasn’t sure if the  internals are the same from the  regular 2.5 to the svt? 

The internals are different on the SVT 2.5L Duratec engines. They have different pistons which give it the higher compression ratio that leads to better HP (170HP vs 195HP).

Again, buy a good used instead of rebuilding if your choices are that poor.

-Dominic