FordContour.Org

Csvt Tran problem, no wheel engagement.

ric

I have a black 2k Csvt, 125k miles, apparently the Trans needs to be pulled to determine what's wrong (clutch, flywheel, trans). To replace flywheel & clutch is $2.5k. I stopped at a red light, heard a snap and when I tried to go, I couldn't. The shifter seems to go through the gears (I feel the typical resistance shifting), but seemingly, no engagement with the engine to the wheels. Maybe some slight movement possibly exhaust thrust 🙄.
Any thoughts? Not sure the car is worth fixing.
Merrimack Valley, MA area.

The weak point in these transmissions is the differential. If it goes, the transmission will feel like it will go in gear - But the car will not move. Sometimes you can put it in gear and the speedometer will show wheel speed as you are sitting still. The other issue is the pin in the shifter housing. Normally there is no snapping noise, and the shifter goes numb and loose between gears.

-Dominic

Are either of these replacement parts available?   I had the shifter problem before in a prior Contour I owned and seem to recall there was a beefier part offered from an aftermarket vendor. Thanks for your comment!

It's been a while since I've had the opportunity to replace a failed differential. Does the car make any noise when in gear and the clutch is let out? Does the speedometer go up when in first gear and the throttle is applied lightly? Unfortunately most of the parts for these cars are discontinued and I don't see a listing for the differential available from Ford. Lots of parts are available for the automatics, but most of the parts for the manuals are gone. Perhaps sourcing a used transmission may be easier?

-Dominic